What a horrible night to have a broken CD player! - 90%

BillNightspawnDorfer, July 7th, 2013

The Black Dahlia Murder is the sort of band that has more than meets the eye. At first listen, all the songs might slur together and seem interchangeable, but upon repeated listening and careful observing, your appreciation for the band steadily grows as you comprehend their melody, complexity, and atmosphere. "Nocturnal" is the perfect example of this.

Combining the spider web technicality of European melodic death metal with bludgeoning, dark, and grim Florida death metal style melded into one, this entire album is a sonic assault of blistering, fret-burning guitar work, relentless breakneck drumming, and unholy demonic vocals. The band is a nice balance of brutality, technicality, and melody, all blended into one spooky, horror-themed vibe. That being said, there's something else I personally appreciate very much about the band: the lyrics are very intriguing and intelligent. Fans of horror films, comics, or stories will find great fascination in such songs as "To a Breathless Oblivion" or "What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse".

Overall, this is a great album by a great band and shows them progressing into a sound they're determined to bring unto the world. In my opinion, they are so far doing a fantastic job and I hold this album in high regard. If you like speed, brutality, melody, horror, and atmosphere, I highly recommend this album. Cheers!!!