The Black Dahlia Murder into the perfection. - 100%

Matthijs, August 31st, 2014

The Black Dahlia Murder have come a long way since their debut Unhallowed. Unhallowed wasn't very good in my opinion, Miasma was an improvement but it was Nocturnal that convinced me TBDM are an awesome, solid and skilled band. Deflorate was a very good album as well, but it wasn't an improvement compared to Nocturnal. Ritual was however, but it wasn't until this latest effort, Everblack, where TBDM have perfected their sound.

This album is dark, melodic, technical and brutal. I like to call it 'brutal melodic death metal'. When I heard In Hell Is Where She Waits For Me and Raped In Hatred By Vines Of Thorns, I knew this album was going to be a masterpiece. This album is the album they worked so hard to get to, this is the pinnacle of their discography so far. And I can imagine that's not so easy when they've just recruited a new drummer and bassist.

Everblack starts off with one of my favourite songs on the album. In Hell Is Where She Waits For Me starts slowly until Trevor delivers one of his best shrieks ever. It's the perfect intro for the perfect album. The refrain is also very catchy and it features a nice solo. The song's theme is about the actual Black Dahlia Murder, so that's pretty cool too. Another standout song is Into The Everblack. It's very heavy and brutal, yet the guitarist is able to deliver a melodic lead that doesn't kill the mood of the song. It blends in perfectly, as it does in all of the songs, and it creates an eerie mood. Phantom Limb Masturbation is a bit like Into The Everblack, it only has a funnier title with sickening, yet still funny lyrics and an even better solo. This lead will take you into higher atmospheres, it's so beautiful and has again this eerie sound to it. Every Rope A Noose is also a highlight with a very cool intro and nice riffs during the whole song. The outro ends with a piano, preserving that ominous atmosphere that's been present the entire album.

Trevor Strnad is one of my favourite extreme metal singers and this album displays exactly why. He combines high pitched shrieks with guttural growls and the combination is perfect. He has really mastered his singing technique and that high-low combination keeps him from sounding monotonous. The lyrics are as always beautiful dark poetry with some dark humor in them as well. Ryan Knight has already featured on Ritual as the lead guitarist and I instantly felt he was a better guitarist than Kempainen. On Everblack he delivers an even better performance. As I said earlier, his solos match perfectly into the songs and they're technical as well as very beautiful with that sinister undertone to it. Alan Cassidy shows that he's the right man for the job as the new drummer of TBDM. In my opinion, I think he's better than Shannon Lucas. His drum skills are on a high level and blend in perfectly with the rest of the instruments. This guy is also very young, so he can still learn and gain some experience. I hope this line-up remains for as long as the band exists, it's a perfect one.

I've said it a hundred times, and I'm going to say it once more: this album is perfect. They have created this unique sound that really captures the brutality of death metal and blended it with melody, better than any melodic death metal band I've ever heard. If you love death and melodic death metal, you'll love this album. If you're a fan of TBDM, you'll probably think is their best effort so far. I wonder what's coming next, because topping this album will be the band's biggest challenge yet.

Standouts: every single song!

But certainly check: In Hell Is Where She Waits For Me, Into The Everblack, Phantom Limb Masturbation and Every Roope A Noose