Thantifaxath self-titled - 79%

broomybroomybroomy, October 20th, 2012

Thantifaxath is one of those bands you stumble upon by accident. They're so esoteric that I think only the most elite fans of black metal will discover them, and I think that's what they intended. At least one good metal group comes every country, but Thantifaxath comes from Canada. Although not a capital of metal like Scandinavia, they have a handful of good bands like Cryptopsy or Kataklysm.

This band has their own sound that is loosely-wound, dissonant, and powerful. The guitar varies between playing single reverberating notes and frantically playing atonal chords. The different guitar sections usually have a brief rest between them and then abruptly play again, which create a sensation of falling into a deep pit of nothingness. The vocals are harshly shrieked, and sound more angry than disconsolate. The drums are somewhat drowned out; they're just in the back seat-- along for the ride. Blast beats are seldom used, with the percussion as start-and-stop as the strings. The bass is very prominent, and even has its own short melodic part in the beginning of Violently Expanding Nothing, which I believe to be the strongest track on the album-- it even includes somewhat of a guitar solo near the end.

This EP only has four tracks and runs for a little under 16 minutes, but it is all carefully crafted and no "filler" tracks exist to pad the length (excluding the intro, but then again, black metal always needs a dark ambient intro). Although I don't necessarily feel like they're "breaking new ground," I believe that they have their own unique sound that distinguishes them from carbon copy second wave bands and post-black metal hipster bands that have recently plagued the scene of black metal. Maybe they get a little tedious at times, but never annoying. They could use a little more. After listening to this, I have high hopes for their debut full-length.