Thanti-what now? - 100%

Polynometal, July 7th, 2015

It's generally not a good sign when you can't pronounce a band's name for a good amount of time even after buying the album. However, with a name like "Thantifaxath" it's hard to skip past this band when browsing around. Names of demons and like are found in very lo-fi underground black metal bands, so it's initially what I embraced for when giving the album the first spin. To this day, after almost a year, this is still an album to be marveled at.

Opening up, the star track of the album, "The Bright White Nothing At the End of the Tunnel" pulsates a low rumble and an organ's keys being pressed seemingly all at once. The dissonance is an initiation of sorts, going on for twenty seconds before the first riff. Four repeats, and the other instruments all come in. The subtle introduced baseline and drumming morphs into a complex flurry and the initiation ends. You are now reaching the bright white nothing at the end of the tunnel.

Monstrous guitar riffs are this album's feature. As opposed to the general tremolo picked style of riffing that black metal has inherited, Thantifaxath go for dozen or more note riffs and like to play in a very classical music structure, generally using lots of different time signatures and changing every four measures. As "same-y" as the changing every four repeats is, it works so well on this album it's a key point to the perfection of it. There's generally enough change in the vocals and complexion in the drums for it to fit nicely in what is generally eight measures. Vocals, from start to finish are screamed very loudly with more than enough reverb. Little effects are used, which is a nice step away from computer ridden black metal. All instruments are organic, and give a nice clean sound.

Start to finish, this album experiments with all different ideas in the black metal realm, with songs that have ambient, intros, blasts, slow sections, and every other thing that's found in the realm of extreme metal. The most amazing thing though, is the use of things That are much more avant-garde. Never have I heard music quite in the realm of what is done in this album, and it's probably what made it earn the place in my heart it has.

All of the tracks are stand-out tracks, and for me it changes when it comes to what tracks I enjoy the most. This album has to be planted in rotation to grow, because I remember upon first listen I felt disappointed. There's truly something for everyone here. Slow haunting tracks like "Lost in the Static Between Worlds" and loud, thunderous speed driven tracks like "Panic Becomes Despair". It took awhile to finally come to the perfect album, but there is no more deserving album than this.