Don't Hold Back - 65%

SweetLeaf95, January 29th, 2017

I hope that I'm not the only person that looked at the album cover of this, and could predict what it would sound like. Sure enough, I was correct. In a matter of seconds, we're hit with very modern-sounding thrash riffing, and though it's definitely produced very well and holds that distinct sound, it's not very original.

That being said, a lot of what we have here is belted out, higher pitched vocals that don't have a whole lot of range in them. The occasional shriek is thrown in to add an extra kick over top of the thicker guitar parts, but that's about it. On the other hand, the music itself is pretty outstanding. They show absolutely no mercy here, and it's pretty much a giant speed-wreck almost the whole way through. What saves this from becoming boring and repetitive is the solo work. To put it simple, it's probably better than what Kirk Hammett could do anymore. They tackle the fretboard with tons of high notes, and they refrain from using too many long, drawn out screeches. Songs like "Deceiver", "Drunk As Fuck", and "Bestial Tyranny" probably shed out the longest ones, but almost all of the album stays true to this. The only track that doesn't is the short instrumental "Riders of Doom", which serves as a nice break from all of the skull crushing speed and intensity before diving into the final track. Without the solo work, this would probably be ranked a lot lower, because the solos do a stellar job at breaking up the mediocre riff work that is churned out the whole way through.

Something else one might notice is the fact that the drumming is almost done in the style of a death metal band. Like the guitars, they don't hold back at all, and many blast beats are tossed into the mix as well. This is showcased basically right away with "Reanimator", which is one of my personal favorite tracks. Also, I think "Drunk As Fuck" stands out a little bit as well. While all of the other tracks are pretty much as modern sounding, "Municipal Waste / Repulsor" as you can get, this one sticks more to a traditional thrash style, and I can appreciate that. The first band that came to mind when hearing that track was Nuclear Assault, and it's definitely one of the most fun songs here.

As a whole, I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't get boring at times. There's not a whole lot offered as far as horizon, and if it weren't for the impressive solo work and small tweaks here and there, I'd probably be tired of it by the fourth track. My advice, appreciate the standouts, and just jam out to the rest.