The future of Thrash - 96%

Felix 1666, November 19th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2017, CD, Test Your Metal Records

Even a stubborn guy like me is able to enjoy different genres. Black and death metal, hardrock (Malcolm Young - rest in peace, you will remain unforgotten), traditional metal, power metal, some punk bands, crust, grindcore... But if I have to vote for only one style, it is definitely thrash metal. No, not every kind of thrash. The pretty controlled approach of bands such as Testament is not bad, do not get me wrong. Nevertheless, the real essence of this genre does not consist of a mix of carefully considered parts and some speedy eruptions from time to time. The true character of thrash is shaped by fury, high velocity and rampant energy. Terrifier from Canada (but not from Quebec - I had almost forgotten that there exist Canadian metal bands outside of Quebec) deliver these elements in abundance. The five guys belong to these agile people who simultaneously jump with both legs into their trousers. They fear nothing but stagnation. Okay, they would also fear silence, but they have never experienced this state (and they do not know the meaning of this word as well).

"Weapons of Thrash Destruction" is, despite its brightly coloured zeitgeist artwork, a breathtaking work. What kind of multifunctional weapon is this? The restlessly attacking riffs indicate a very well sharpened knife, the drums make the listener think of a machine gun, the solos are like cluster bombs and the overall impression is comparable to an atomic explosion. Only lead singer Chase Thibodeau does not know his exact role in this inferno. He combines insane hysteria with hysteric insanity and I am undecided whether he is perpetrator or victim. However, his robust, more or less natural voice also possesses a manic element, but this is no unique feature of this guy. Fortunately, the entire band seems to "suffer" from an overdose of motivation. Consequently, the album spreads the vibes of classics such as "Bonded by Blood" or "Forbidden Evil" without lacking authenticity or freshness. The crisp riffing embodies the aura of the early days of thrash perfectly. These elastic yet vigorous, minimally melodic yet flogging riffs make me feel younger, less snivelling and (nearly) attractive to the opposite sex. This is not to say that Terrifier play a somehow female form of thrash. Tender, humorous or harmonic parts have never been heard in the group's rehearsal room. The five-piece is focused on extreme speed and a nice dose of viciousness. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that there must be a spiritual connection between Exodus 1985 and Terrifier 2017.

Some albums that hold great music come with a less concise production, but Terrifier's second full-length does not fall into this trap. The material benefits from a perfect sound. This is exactly the way thrash metal has to be recorded. I really have no idea how to do it better. Okay, this is no surprise, but I bet that a lot of experienced sound engineers will also see no room for optimization. Aggression, vehemence, clarity and determination characterise the sound. Once again, the aforementioned debuts of Exodus and Forbidden serve as pointers and this is definitely a good thing. Only those of you who see their pure underground dogma crumble as soon as a production lacks fuzziness can stay in bed.

The album is filled to the brim with fanatic thrashers that herald the domination of the old school approach of the genre. The lyrics deliver the usual stuff. Dark scenarios are provided in abundance. Only "D.A.F.", which stands for "drunk as f**k" refuses to play by the rules. But this does not mean that the track suffers from a boozy touch. Precisely lacerating guitars form a vehement thrasher with a surprisingly catchy chorus. Do not be irritated by this. Catchiness is not the dominating feature of the material. Sharpness and resoluteness rule the sound of "Weapons of Thrash Destruction" and I also have to mention the extremely high degree of coherence that ennobles the individual compositions. There are no parts on this album that meander aimlessly through the concrete jungle of urban thrash. The song-writing talent of the guys is remarkable and the galloping, cutting or shredding guitars create an enormously dynamic overall sound. In addition, each and every tempo change is brilliantly executed.

It is therefore only logical that the musical content leaves almost no space for improvement. Especially the second part fascinates me (although tracks like "Re-Animator" or "Deceiver" are phenomenal as well). "Bestial Tyranny", "Sect of the Serpent" and the already mentioned "D.A.F." are simply perfect, only the short instrumental on the eighth position does not deliver the extra portion of excellence that separates impeccable songs from simply good ones. With that said, allow me a personal comment: I was glad to find Terrifier's second album, because it is a top-notch choice for my nine hundredth review. Number 1.000 is not too far away, but even better and definitely more important: thanks to bands such as Battery (Denmark), Speedrush (Greece), JT Ripper (Germany), Eruption (Slovenia), Surge Assault (Italy) and, of course, Terrifier, the future of honest thrash metal has already begun.

Vehement Thrash Metal With Face Melting Solos - 91%

felix headbanger, October 29th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2017, Digital, Test Your Metal Records

When people talks about Canadian thrash metal, what comes immediately into my mind are the works of Razor, Exciter (yes, I consider their work during 1983 thrash though they are labeled as speed metal), Slaughter, Annihilator, and Voivod. Who would not remember such killer records as "Evil Invaders", "Heavy Metal Maniac", "Strappado", "Alice in Hell", and "War and Pain". Those who are fond of collecting old relics from the glory days of thrash can fortify the next words that I am going to utter. That those Canadian metal acts mentioned above can throw down as hard as those bands coming from the Bay Area and Germany. The next record that I am going to review is the work of Terrifier, and I can most certainly vouch that this offering must be added to that list of highly recommended Canadian thrash releases.

Terrifier is a British Columbia-based thrash metal quintet that was formed in 2003 as Skull Hammer. The band changed their name in June 2012 after releasing a full-length album way back 2011. "Weapons of Thrash Destruction" is their sophomore studio record after their debut of "Destroyers of the Faith" in 2012 carrying the name Terrifier. What "Weapons of Thrash Destruction" bring to the table is 42 minutes of fierce and unrestrained thrash music. With electrifying and bellicose tracks such as 'Reanimator', 'Nuclear Demolisher', 'Violent Reprisal', 'Drunk as Fuck', 'Bestial Tyranny', and 'Sect of the Serpent'; the band doesn't fall short in supplying blatantly aggressive guitar riffs, kick ass solos, supersonic drumming, and superb vocals.

The band had prospered in handing their listeners with some real good metal tunes which are pleasantly reminiscent of an earlier time when groups like Exodus, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, and Testament were furnishing tasty extreme metal blowout for headbangers all around the globe. The igneous and hasty guitar riffs present in this album will make the listeners go ape-shit while banging to the material. Both Brent Gallant and Rene Wilkinson showed splendid skills behind the axes that they are handling. And the solos are on a top level execution. They totally supplied their audiences with a bombardment of top-grade guitar shredding in here. In fact, even some of the tracks that do not stand out appears more fun to listen to, because of those fucking awesome solos.

I also would like to mention how the bassist did well on his role in this release. Hearers of the offering can totally feel Alexander Giles's presence, and there are times that his bass playing really stands out momentarily. The drum work, though not that one of a kind, contributed as a solid mantle to the overall music that the band was able to engineer. Kyle Sheppard had dispensed a sufficient amount of diversity behind the kit that it amplified more profundity and punch to Terrifier's already exuberant resonance.

Chase Thibodeau's vocals are also adequate, and his technique suits the songs in the record very well. Chase's higher pitched shrieks are the clear zenith of his performance in this opus. And of course, the production had met the highest standard of accuracy in this release. I usually prefer a more raw production when it comes to thrash albums as it gives a more hostile feel to the whole product, but I certainly can make an exemption for substantial records like this one.

This offering may not be an inventive or advance thrash metal piece, but still it's a terrific release for a group who takes their listeners to a ride down memory lane with their supersonic and turbocharge thrash metal music. Fans of old school state of the art speed metal and 80s thrash will definitely dig this masterpiece.

Originally written for www.thepitofthedamned.com

Best in Thrash Class! - 90%

SlayerDeath666, March 28th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2017, Digital, Test Your Metal Records

Terrifier are an awesome new thrash metal band out of Canada. We all know Canada’s awesome thrash history with bands like Razor, Annihilator, and Voivod. Now Terrifier have come along to continue the country’s awesome thrash tradition. Although Weapons of Thrash Destruction is only their second album, the band have made their mark on the scene. They play a kickass, mosh-inducing aggressive style of thrash that appeals to fans of old school thrash as well as fans of the new wave of bands.

Terrifier thrives on fast, high-energy songs driven by killer riffs that are sure to generate a pit in seconds. There are faster bands out there but that has always been the case in thrash. Still, Terrifier thrashes pretty hard with plenty of speed and a guitar tone thick enough to enhance the utter brutality of the riffs. There is not much in the way of lead work on this album but the solos are terrific and most importantly, there are plenty of them. As you would expect, the solos are fast and furious, packing a really energetic punch throughout the album.

The band’s high-energy style works particularly well on songs like “Skitzoid Embolism,” which might be the fastest song on the album and almost certainly the best. This track packs a ferocious wallop akin to getting punched in the face for four minutes with very little break other than the solos and the Total Recall clip that opens the track. Thankfully, the band lightens up a touch on “Drunk as Fuck” with a less speedy, slightly heavier approach. It even comes through in the solos which are still high-energy but have a little more fun injected into them rather than a showing of pure skill and talent. The bass also stands out as being a nice addition to these tracks in particular though it adds plenty to the mix on the other tracks.

Although most of the drumming on this record is not particularly unique or special, it possesses enough variety in the songs to keep the listener engaged and all of it is executed with extreme precision. Not that the band needed help in this area but Kyle’s performance adds depth and power to the band’s high-energy, rapid-fire punching sound. He does so with driving rhythms and lots of clever kick drumming, even including rapid fire double kick when necessary. Chase’s vocals are excellent and his style is quite intriguing as it is sort of a hybrid of styles. There are times when he is doing his best MegaDave impression (see the one minute mark of “Bestial Tyranny”) and it is a fun time but his high-pitched screeching yell is what really stands out as being spectacular. The style is a familiar one for the new wave of thrash bands but Chase’s delivery is higher, faster and packs a much bigger punch than the delivery of many of his peers.

This early in the year, it is hard to say definitively that any album is the best of its genre but as of now, Terrifier’s Weapons of Thrash Destruction definitely earns the title of Best in Class. It has been another very solid year for thrash so far and no matter who comes out on top in December, Terrifier have earned a place at the thrash banquet with this absolutely terrific ripper of an album. If anyone’s not convinced, listening to the bookends of this album will do the trick as “Reanimator” and “Sect of the Serpent” will both rip your face to shreds.

Don't Hold Back - 65%

SweetLeaf95, January 29th, 2017

I hope that I'm not the only person that looked at the album cover of this, and could predict what it would sound like. Sure enough, I was correct. In a matter of seconds, we're hit with very modern-sounding thrash riffing, and though it's definitely produced very well and holds that distinct sound, it's not very original.

That being said, a lot of what we have here is belted out, higher pitched vocals that don't have a whole lot of range in them. The occasional shriek is thrown in to add an extra kick over top of the thicker guitar parts, but that's about it. On the other hand, the music itself is pretty outstanding. They show absolutely no mercy here, and it's pretty much a giant speed-wreck almost the whole way through. What saves this from becoming boring and repetitive is the solo work. To put it simple, it's probably better than what Kirk Hammett could do anymore. They tackle the fretboard with tons of high notes, and they refrain from using too many long, drawn out screeches. Songs like "Deceiver", "Drunk As Fuck", and "Bestial Tyranny" probably shed out the longest ones, but almost all of the album stays true to this. The only track that doesn't is the short instrumental "Riders of Doom", which serves as a nice break from all of the skull crushing speed and intensity before diving into the final track. Without the solo work, this would probably be ranked a lot lower, because the solos do a stellar job at breaking up the mediocre riff work that is churned out the whole way through.

Something else one might notice is the fact that the drumming is almost done in the style of a death metal band. Like the guitars, they don't hold back at all, and many blast beats are tossed into the mix as well. This is showcased basically right away with "Reanimator", which is one of my personal favorite tracks. Also, I think "Drunk As Fuck" stands out a little bit as well. While all of the other tracks are pretty much as modern sounding, "Municipal Waste / Repulsor" as you can get, this one sticks more to a traditional thrash style, and I can appreciate that. The first band that came to mind when hearing that track was Nuclear Assault, and it's definitely one of the most fun songs here.

As a whole, I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't get boring at times. There's not a whole lot offered as far as horizon, and if it weren't for the impressive solo work and small tweaks here and there, I'd probably be tired of it by the fourth track. My advice, appreciate the standouts, and just jam out to the rest.

Those Solos!! - 95%

mjollnir, January 24th, 2017

When I reviewed Terrifier’s 2013 EP, Metal or Death, I knew this band would be destine for great things. These Canadians bring a fresh and modern take on a tried and true metal sub genre, thrash. Starting of as Skullhammer in 2003 they released one demo in 2009 and a full length, Destroyers of the Faith, in 2011. Once they made the change to Terrifier in 2012, they did re-release the debut but I would consider their recent 2017 release, Weapons of Thrash Destruction as their proper debut as Terrifier. As I mentioned in my previous review, these guys are the real deal, playing riff laden thrash metal with pummeling aggression but also with tight precision.

In keeping with thrash tradition, the band shows that although their technicality is present throughout the album, they do not take themselves too seriously. The album title is quite silly as is a song like “Drunk as Fuck,” but it is their music that does the talking. Songs like the opener, “Reanimator”, or the crushing “Nuclear Demolisher” show that this band means business. The former is your typical album opener that just kicks your ass coming straight out of the gate. The latter is an amazing thrash tune with pummeling riffs and godly solos. As a matter of fact, the solos on this album are some of the best in metal today. I’m of the belief that the mark of a great thrash album is the guitar work. The riffing must be fast and technical and the solos need to be otherworldly…..and this album excels at both.

A song like “Drunk as Fuck” show that these guys can not take themselves too seriously while still delivering the goods. While it is your typical thrash “drinking” song and possibly the weakest song on the album (although there are no truly weak songs on here) it is quite crushing. The riffing is typical for this type of song but the solos make up for what this song lacks in riffing and seriousness. Once again, on an album that appears to have no weak spots, this may be the lowest point on the album…and if this is the lowest point, I’ll take it.

Back in 2014 I said that this was a band to watch and it appears that I was right. Even the minute and a half instrumental, “Riders of Doom” has a place in this album with it’s slow and clean beginnings it features some shredding solos before it segues into the monster album closer, “Sect of the Serpent.” Clocking in at just under seven minutes, this is one epic thrash metal beast that does not lose you even being slightly longer than what would be considered typical for a song of this genre. The speed, technicality , and slight dose of melody makes this song the perfect album closer.

It’s been a long wait but I finally got to hear a proper release by this band under their current banner. As I said before, this band is no mere throwback thrash band and they are no gimmick. You can hear the love of thrash metal within each song from the very first riffs of this album you can tell that this band is the future of thrash metal. If you want the best representation of good modern thrash, look no further.

The Elitist Metalhead