Sneak Peek - 80%

SweetLeaf95, August 21st, 2018

Human Mutation is the first EP by the Norwegian thrashers Tantara, hitting the scene back in 2010. To put it simple, it's quite literally a taste of what was to come, as all three songs "The Debate", "Human Mutation", and "The Killing Of Mother Earth" can be found on the first full length Based On Evil, which would come out two years later. Although you could potentially just skip this and go right to that, this one has one thing to offer, and that's the muddier production. It may seem silly to see this as worth a damn just because of that, but the one issue I had with the first full length isn't present here due to it. If you've read my review of their first album, you'll know that the vocals weren't my favorite.

On here, the dirty atmosphere gives the vocals that aggressive boost that hadn't taken full form on the first album, and it makes me wonder if perhaps the clean production is actually what made them hard on the ears in the first place. The darker ambiance of the '80s German thrashers can be heard as heavy influence, rather than vocals that clearly aim for that sound but don't quite hit high enough. On the other hand, the music itself isn't too different, other than the riffs take the same effect from the mix. That doesn't really change the quality of them, as they're the same face pummeling punches topped with technical bordering solos. All of this is pretty great, but musically, I prefer the guitar presentation used after this. Oh, and it's also worth mentioning that the bass is pretty booming, especially on the title track.

If you're looking for a short, speed driven ball of dirty thrash riffs and technical solo work, this EP is for you. Tantara has their second album coming out soon titled Sum Of Forces, and I'm all too excited for that, thus my urge to write about them grew. Digging this up seemed to be the only temporary solution. Bottom line, I'd still rather listen to the first full length, despite the better vocals here. The rougher musicianship lacks some of the blistering qualities that make Tantara stick out to me. Still quite stellar, and still worth hearing. Not like it takes up much of your time anyway.