The blind drunk comes with some improvements - 83%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, December 12th, 2008

One year has passed from the debut album and Tankard returns with its classic thrash metal and a new album, Chemical Invasion. The debut was not that strong in terms of variety and songwriting but here we can notice a quite evident improvement, even if this is not a masterpiece. The first thing we can notice is that the production hasn’t changed a lot and it sounds always quite dirty and alcoholic, like it’s meant to be. The hardcore influences are always present on the savage riffage, especially on the up tempo parts. By the way, the riffs now tend to be a bit more in the pure thrash metal direction, at least in some parts.

The vocals by Gerre are always nasty and quite screamed. They are childish and raspy, like after a bottle of whisky. After a short intro, “Total Addiction” destroys our ears through immediate up tempo parts are neverending riffs. The structures don’t change that often and maybe this is the weakest point for Tankard. They point on the sheer fury of the instruments without caring a lot about the variety and the differentiation. As always, the choruses are the most recognizable parts of the songs here and they are always screamed and nasty. It’s also the case of “Tantrum” that has very few mid-paced overtures and after awhile it can result quite monotonous.

The guitars solos are simple exhibitions of rage and impulsivity and they are always fast, on tremolo picking and never too personal. They don’t sustain the main melody or the catchy riff on a song but they are simply attached to the structures without a logical sense and this happens quite often. The drums are a bit submerged by the violence of the guitars, especially on the up tempo parts but they emerge during the mid-paced section. When Tankard point on more controlled mid-tempo parts they are lethal, like on the galloping mid-tempo parts by the middle of “Don’t Panic”, among a jungle of quite derivative, fast riffs.

To play always fast you must have always quite catchy parts or riffs and not just simple, impulsive palm mute riffs. It’s not enough and the demonstrations of it are the mid-paced section that gives oxygen to the songs and a bit of variety. “Puke” is basically punk/hardcore but has the privilege to emerge thanks to the catchy chorus and the direct, short structure. The most personal episode comes with the long and more melodic instrumental “For A Thousand Beers” and the arpeggios. The voluntary epic atmosphere clashes perfectly with the meaning of this song to be ironic. Soon it increases in speed but now the riffs are catchier and more personal. We can always find dynamic structures that don’t always point on the up tempo and that’s good.

The title tracks features, by the beginning, more of those funny, rock style riffs and the happy atmosphere of a pub. Many parts of this song settle on a quite dynamic mid-paced tempo with various riffs. The fast paced parts are by the chorus and they don’t least long. I liked these sudden changes of tempo very much but with “A Farewell to a Slut” we return to faster parts. “Trailor” is too long to be an almost always fast track and after awhile this is risky. “Alcohol” is a cover and shows again more punk melodies to be direct and catchy.

Overall, this new album by Tankard showed signs of improvement in songwriting and less “in one way” tracks. There are always quite monotonous, too fast and with few ideas tracks, but on the other hand, we can hear to new styles and influences. As I said, when they point on the more mid-paced sections, they are very good at them. See you soon Tankard!