© 2002-2023

Pirate It Instead… - 65%

MushroomStamp, November 19th, 2008

I recall that the old Taake/Thule demos sounded like they were rubbed with sand paper in the mixing/mastering phase. This live EP remedies that problem a bit by featuring a couple of those pre-album tracks with a more balanced sound job (side A: Eismalsott, Tykjes Fele). Included on side B are a Darkthrone cover from “Transilvanian Hunger” and Voldtekt, a track whose studio version was previously released on two recent EPs already (?).

Having those old tracks essentially remade is a marvellous idea, but the flipside of the 7” could have been used for things far more interesting than a rather dull cover and a third incarnation of a familiar track. The party riff in Voldtekt isn’t that good, but I guess the band disagrees. Though I hate to call this release a cash-grab, it does smell like one.

Nevertheless, the sound is very well-crafted for a black metal live setting; I especially love the heavily reverberated guitar sound. The band’s playing is professionally tight, and Høst pulls off some of his best vocals on top of this wall of noise where even the bass gets its fair share of presence. Bearing these technical things in mind, this 7” could have been far worse – for what it is, the EP is more or less a pleasant listening experience. I just sincerely hope that the band would stop dicking around with overpriced “collectors’ items” and release a proper full-length live album.