absolutely horrible. - 65%

Akerthorpe, September 30th, 2015

Hailing from Italy is the band Synapses. I had never heard of this band before this, their new release entitled “Devoutness”. I did not know what to think, but I love death metal so I thought how bad can it be, right? Well, I hate to say it but I was very disappointed in this release. There was so much going on here that made me cringe at the thought of knowing that these guys are labeled as death metal. Now, I don’t mind bands pushing the envelope, but what these guys did on this release was, to me, damn near disastrous. I had to fight the urge to shut off the CD more than once.

Please, don’t get me wrong. I fully appreciate the effort these guys put forth, but it was extremely stale, uninteresting and almost monotonous of things heard a million times before in efforts by other bands. Being a copycat band is one thing but throwing away your musical talent and playing in a half-assed manner just shows that you have no regard or passion for the art of the music or the music itself. The riffs here on this album are too choppy and reminiscent of what you would find on most any metal/death core album which just exudes a feeling of stale tiredness of riding on another genre’s coat tails. There are times when the music is brutal as all hell and in your face, but not enough take away from the other 75 percent that makes this music almost unbearable. The only things that made this album listenable were the drums and vocals. I don’t believe the drums were triggered, but even if they were the drummer, indeed, has an excellent set up. If they weren’t then they were a testament to his skills. The only issue with the vocals is the enunciation, but nonetheless a fantastic job on the vocals. Seriously folks, try to imagine Vader or Incantation trying to play an album by Suicide Silence or Winds of Plague or bands of that nature. You know very well that it isn’t going to happen. On top of everything else, try to imagine a Fear Factory vibe (on some songs) thrown in. If you’re going to play death metal, then play death metal. If you’re going to play industrial core metal then play industrial core metal (which is what I feel this is). Needless to say, I did not like this album, but again I have all the respect in the world for the effort that the guys in Synapses put forth. There is obviously talent here, but sadly, I think they wasted it here. Hopefully things will improve on their next effort and even thought I did not like this album, I will be looking forward to it.

Even though I didn’t like it, I fully understand and realize there are some who will like it. So, if anyone out there feels like this might be their cup of tea then I recommend on getting it. For those who want death metal that is true to form, then skip this disasterpiece and search for something a little better which, at this point, is just about anything.