ass - 27%

Noktorn, August 25th, 2011

For the life of me I will never be able to grasp why so many people get so rigid over bland goth-rock-pretending-to-be-metal albums like this one. Sunseth Sphere is just one more entry in a nearly limitless catalog of incredibly bland goth rock albums I own which distinguishes itself from others in precisely zero ways. Absolutely no more interesting than late Moonspell, Nightfall, or any other number of bland albums in the same vein, "Storm Before Silence" succeeds in doing nothing but upholding a series of stereotypes about goth music that I thought the scene's constituents themselves were attempting to disprove. From the perpetual whine and wail of female vocals to the helium-inflated guitar tone to the cheap-ass Casio synth patches, this is exactly the sort of thing no one wants or needs in their music collection.

While the vocals are technically more proficient than most of these bands, they have a sort of irritating, wavering tone to them, as well as being jammed in the background and soaked in reverb, robbing them of power. The riffs tend to be generic rock chord structures with material occasionally cribbed from early Maiden, darkened somewhat by the "gothic" atmosphere the band tries so hard to create. And how do they create that? The same way as everyone else does: gloomy clean guitar passages, lurking synths, and... more wavering female vocals. The songs are all structured like generic rock songs but tend to be so rhythmically and tonally static throughout that it's hard to track any sort of progression through the album or even the individual songs. Everything in these songs seems arbitrary; one riff leads to the next, there are no real "climaxes" (apart from predictable soft/loud dynamics that are just there because that's what the playbook says,) and there's simply no sense of motion or drive to the music at all. Every song feels overlong and overly dramatic, and yet the drama seems woefully nonspecific; I can tell I'm supposed to feel something, but what I'm supposed to feel and why I'm supposed to feel it is completely unknown.

This sucks, no one needs to listen to it, and if you like this I truly suspect your taste in general.

Beautiful... - 96%

Azrael, May 4th, 2005

Maybe the title phrase is a bit blunt and static, but i could not think of other words to describe this gem of an album. Storm....is truly beautiful and one SHOULD devote sometime to listen to this Hungarian debut.

They are constantly compared to The Gathering, Pink Floyd and Kate Bush. I think that Sunseth... make their OWN music. One should be careful not to think that this band is a moulded carbon copy of these aformentioned bands...besides when i heared Kyrah (frontwoman) i recalled Tori Amos! But i hate comparing and i chose to appreciate Sunseth... for what they want to convey through their music.

I cannot stop listening to this album. It is reflective, emotional, heavy and inspiring. I was drawn to the album cover on a magazine and chose to check them out and i was not disappointed. They managed to create an overwhelming atmosphere that never deviates to mediocrity.

I am not going to pinpoint any songs because this is a holistic experience. However, i have to mention "Gods of Egypt". My favourite track. It is so emotional and yet heavy on the mind, its like steel upon your chest. Because that is what true beauty is... "heavy as steel upon a naked mind". Romanticism aside, i was truly moved by this song. Kyrah's voice is entrancing and entwined perfectly with the amazing musicianship of her fellow band mates.
Still, all the songs carry the same formula and it never gets boring. They managed to conjure unexpected changes yet still retaining their motive.

An album for the open minded and for those who want something different from the relentless thumping that prevails in this metal scene. Give this band a chance becasue they really deserve it.