Maze of Riffs - 91%

LetTheReignBegin, January 11th, 2009

Riffs. This album is full of them. Drumming. Technical and highly fill laden. Vocals. Deep, unique, and somewhat understandable. Bass. Stands out very well. Did I also mention this album has RIFFS?

This album is basically like a maze, there are so many paths, you can easily get lost, or in this case, so many riffs, you can forget which riff goes where. When I first listened to this, I had the hardest time getting into this album. It was definitely one of the tougher albums (Bands also, in general) to finally "get" because of their generally awkward, abstract style. After listening to this many times, I think the band "clicked" and so did this album. A very rewarding experience.

Anyways, onto the review of the album. Every instrument and aspect of this album can be heard. This album is generally clustered with so many different riffs it can be very hard to follow at first, but if you listen to it enough times you will notice that all the songs stand out. The guitar work and drumming are very technical, it's hard to appreciate at first. Throw in some "melody" (Don't panic if any of you hate it, there's very little melody here). The drumming is outstanding, and you can't notice Mike Smith was actually substituted as well. Every musician shines here, and this makes this their "Best work yet".

The producer on this album is another Scott Burns production, although I generally hate some of his production jobs (Death's Human for example, the bass is way too low in the mix) but here, he makes every instrument heard clearly. There is almost an atmosphere of depravity, and gloom here, this contributes to the abstract feel of this album as well.

In conclusion, this is a definite must for every Brutal/Tech Death fan as well (Not essential, but if you want to get into it, mind as well try this album on).