Stands tall in a great year for classic DM. - 87%

MrMetalpants, September 10th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2017, CD, Nuclear Blast

First off, I appreciate that Suffocation can release so many albums and stay true to itself. I also appreciate that in a year with so many amazing releases from death metal legends, this album can still stand out and really catch my interest (Still waiting on the Cannibal Corpse release later this year with Erik Rutan back producing!).

I must add right off the bat that yes, there are breakdowns. Before you get upset, which is exactly what I did, please take a listen first. If you know there is no way you can get past them, even if they're miles ahead of most deathcore breakdowns, then skip the first track titled "Clarity Through Deprivation". It's unabashedly a breakdown and is a very risky move in this community. Like I said, it is actually an interesting and complex breakdown compared to most as well as the handful of other less-obvious ones. Now that that's out of the way, let's continue.

The instrumentation is to be expected here. They've lost most of their tech elements over the years, but retained some in this release, but the drums seem to be struggling to catch up with the rest of the band in quite a few songs. The lead guitar offers some very solid solos. Not too many lead riffs that make you want more. The bass leaves a little to be desired, but not enough for me to really complain. I know more can be offered from a Suffocation album. The vocals are on point and have some very catchy vocal patterns which is refreshing in death metal. Especially on "The Warmth Within the Dark". Now that is a catchy song!

Overall, this is a very solid release, surpassing their last release, Pinnacle of Bedlam. Solid songs, save for a few generic ones, like "The Violation" and "Return to the Abyss", even though that was a single... Just get past the few decent breakdowns and you're in the clear for a good listen. Also, there is a re-recording of of one of their old songs. It's "Epitaph of the Credulous" from Breeding the Spawn! Solid update.

Best Tracks: