© 2002-2020

More alive than Bodies in their prime - 90%

tyrant, August 20th, 2007

This exciting act from Tampa, FL is made up of five equally talented musicians, two being from the legendary grind band Bodies In The Gears Of The Apparatus. SWWAATS is very different than Bodies altogether. While BITGOTA was a kind of angry, abrasive hypergrind, SWWAATS is an even angrier, ballsier, death metal-influenced beast of a band. You cannot judge this band by their name. It has more meaning and thought behind it than it is long. Perhaps if people stopped shit talking and looked up William H. Burroughs, who coined the band's name and is featured in samples on this CD, they might have a better understanding of where this band is coming from on an artistic level. Then again, putting forth any effort isn't a standard in certain people's taste in music.

Grindcore today seems to be either a pretty haircut fest or some arty, trendy, sludge-influenced bullshit. SWWAATS is keeping those old school ideals yet evolves the old school sound. They have the rawness, angst and speed of old school Grindcore and also have the power and technique of good death metal (i.e. Cryptopsy, Suffocation). An aspect that also makes SWWAATS original is their unique guitar tuning that was also used in BITGOTA.

Their singer John Collett has the throat of a lion! Go to the zoo some day and sit next to the lion exhibit. If you listen to it roar, that's John. So many vocalists force their performances out. John actually talks like he sings. He just talks a little louder when he's on stage. It has been admitted that he held back on this recording so when playing live it will bring down the house with more power than ever. Ian Sturgill, second guitarist and ex-BITGOTA, sings backing vocals on this album and they are highly up to par as well. They are a lot less deep than John's but just as pissed off and frantic. It makes you wonder what it would have added to a second Bodies full-length. I hope he continues to sing and I hope on a future SWWAATS full-length he will use them more. John and Ian highly compliment each other! Aaron Haines, also from Bodies, does the other guitar work with pure power. Mike Petrak's drumming style is a kind of blackened trash, adding many creative accents to what is already pretty detailed music.

Personally, I hear a subtle Southern flair in SWWAATS's music. They are just so naturally gritty and rough. Perhaps it's their Tampa environment. Also, the samples of William H. Burroughs really adds to my theory. Though WHB isn't from the South, there's something in his raspy voice that makes you think of a serial killer's ranting.

I'd like to say 90 percent of my musical critisms are based on the actual music itself. There is, however, that 10 percent in the undertow of judgment based on the band's integrity. I try to write about a band's music as much as possible but when I find a band like Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky you can't dispute the heart and soul within them. Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky isn't the sort of band to sell out the people that love them and support them. No fan is insignificant to them. There are other bands affiliated with ex-Bodies In The Gears Of The Apparatus members but none of them are as humble and hardworking as SWWAATS. The band really is paying their dues and the driving force that once was behind Bodies In The Gears is far from gone. In fact, it's more alive now than Bodies in their prime.

(Originally written for The Apparatus)