Cold Atmospheric Black Metal - 54%

CosmicChrisTV, December 2nd, 2019
Written based on this version: 2004, CD, Finsternis Productions (Limited edition)

Okay, I'm not going to lie. I discovered Striborg through Noisey's black metal Documentary mini series. I didn't find this band through YouTube playlists and Bandcamp like I did with all the other black metal bands I'm familiar with. This was the first album I heard from him and at first I wasn't a fan of it. However, I feel like it's definitely grown on me now. Let's review Spiritual Catharsis by Striborg.

Okay, so I don't even know where to begin with the instrumentation. I guess I'll start by naming the instruments that are used: drums, guitar, keyboard, and maybe bass. I'm not sure, but it kind of sounds like he uses the keyboards for a bassline instead of a bass guitar, which is honestly pretty unique if that's what he is doing. The guitars are like a wall of noise and it's honestly extremely hard to hear a single note he is playing. Because of this, I'm unfortunately not gonna be able to give you a good description of the guitar, but I'm gonna assume he's using chords since this album is inspired by dark ambient music.

The drums are the most complex part of the album. It's quite varied indeed. At some points, you'll hear skank beats. Other times, you'll hear blast beats. Sometimes, he'll go slow on the drums. Sometimes he'll go fast. Throughout all these different types of drum patterns, you'll be hearing a lot of fills. That is something I'm a big fan of. I like how he takes simple drum patterns and spicing them up by doing something new.

The vocals are what you would expect from black metal. Just the usual high screams. Not much technique goes into the vocals, which is fine by me since this is black metal. I just feel like I should point it out in my reviews. The best thing this album has going for it is the drums. The worst part is the guitar being too quiet to hear any notes that he's playing. I don't really have a favorite track for this album.