© 2002-2017

Where has this been all those years... - 87%

RlyehLiberationFront, April 29th, 2009

So, I'd never heard of this band, but happened across it at a used CD store, and with the price being less than .75 cents, the label being one that I've had other releases from, and the cover artwork being fairly strange I thought, eh, fuck it, I'm going to pick this up. I'm glad I did.

The first thought that ran through my mind was "Holy shit, it's like Godflesh playing NOLA sludge". While I still get this impression sometimes, the album stands on it's own without the namedropping as well.

So, back to my initial Godflesh / NOLA sludge comment. This definitely has a early 90's southern sludge feel to it, the riffs are certainly influenced by Eyehategod, Crowbar, Down, etc. The vocals also take pretty common sludge characteristics and are of the tortured screaming variety. But the guitar tone is almost exactly like the one used on Godflesh's debut album Streetcleaner...and the drumming is sort of industrial metalish and mechanical, just like Godflesh, but I do believe that they use a real drummer instead of machine. I do want to point out that some songs seems to loose the Godflesh sound sometimes, but it does reappear frequently throughout the album.

Overall I'd recommend this album to anyone who likes sludge, or early Godflesh, there's enough of both elements to keep fans of either entertained without being a shameless Godflesh rip off like early Pitchshifter or Soulstorm (both of whom are also excellent, but that's for another review and another time).