© 2002-2018

Riffs for days, including on Shabbos - 95%

nuklearkrieg, July 3rd, 2018
Written based on this version: 2018, CD, Invictus Productions

Spite is a one-man black metal band. The man behind the project goes by Salpsan, named for the mythological son of Satan. Salpsan resides in Brooklyn, NYC. The band is grounded by a strong anti-abrahamic / judeo-christian philosophy.

The first full-length offering from this band is unbelievably strong. There is, without exaggeration, not a single minute of filler on this whole album. Now, some artists can accomplish this level of content through droning atmospheres / endless repetition, but Salpsan doesn't roll this way. He instead dismantles the religious establishment with surgical precision. Dynamic, powerful riffs bombard the listener, one after another. Salpsan manically rants his blasphemous lyrics, sounding possessed at times. It's incredibly effective, and most importantly, infectious. Just when you think the songs wear out their welcome, it's on to the next one, and as I mentioned before, the dynamic songwriting doesn't give you time to get bored. Make no mistake, this isn't Ghost or some tongue-in-cheek pop metal. GBK without the idiotic racism? Sign me up.

The instrumentation is top-notch, and Salpsan does it all. Dynamic, skillful drumming, tight guitar work, bass riffs popping up and even standing alone for moments, and some of the most impassioned vocals in the genre (harsh vocals can be dramatic, dammit! Vary up that delivery, people). The guy is a true musician, not just a guitarist who learned how to do blast beats, and it's all executed so very well. Add a clear but organic production job to this material, and you have a fantastic listen.

Most importantly, the material on this disc is pretty fuggin evil. I'd be interested in learning more about Salpsan's inspirations. New York has a very entrenched ultra-orthodox Jewish population - perhaps this music is an answer to that culture? Regardless, I can't wait to see what's next for Salpsan. Very much looking forward to the next chapter in the Spite saga, and I hope that includes some live performances.