© 2002-2018

My album of the year... Or maybe even decade. - 100%

Getblod, October 20th, 2014
Written based on this version: 2014, 2CD, I, Voidhanger Records (Digipak, Limited edition)

Wow. Never before has an album "wowed" me like this one. Allow me to begin:

When I first listened to this album, I didn't like it. I was amazed by the cover art, and decided to give it a listen. Just the opening song, "Omphalos," was enough to turn me off. I didn't listen to it again until weeks later, while doing homework. Halfway through, it clicked. And I was addicted. Although it's length may seem threatening at first, it goes by very quickly. If you still can't handle listening to all 1.5 hours, I suggest listening to only one side at first. If you don't like the opening track, keep going! It will make sense further along your journey...

Each song has a role to play in this masterpiece of an album. I see it as a grande story, with each song completing an epic chapter. The lyrics on this album should be noted too. They're based on philosophy and Greek mythology, staying thought provoking and interesting without appearing pretentious. The vocals are like an instrument, existing to guide each song with emotion, mood, and atmosphere. During the second track, "The Veiled Garden", Ayloss' vocal style is a much slower pace, similar to doom most of the time. But in fast paced tracks such as "Omphalos," his vocal style becomes much more aggressive.

Another thing that impressed me is the variety of instruments used. Pianos, acoustic guitars, synth, etc. are all used throughout the album, making it a combination of all sorts of genres. The final track is a great example of this. Beginning with an calming ambient intro, it stays like this until halfway through, when other instruments come into play. Eventually it sounds like there's a full orchestra playing, before slowly returning to the calm ambiance of the synth.

I really could write much more about this album, but I'm on a phone and typing is a pain. If you're interested in philosophy or enjoy complex and epic song structures, then this album is for you! This is one of the few albums I've ever rated as a perfect 10/10, yet this album deserves it, if not higher. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.