"We're Slayer! Buy Our Meaningless Shit!" - 45%

Slasher666, September 16th, 2015

After months of hype and bullshit marketing, thrash legends Slayer have returned with their newest album release known as "Repentless." I don't know what's funnier: the content of the album itself or the fact that Kerry King had just realized that "repentless" isn't actually a word? Well, it should come as no surprise to anyone that Slayer have been recording the same stuff since the beginning for over 30 years. This album is definitive proof that Slayer have literally run out of material to give us as well as the fact that they're past their prime.

Now, what's so special about this album, other than the fact that Exodus' Gary Holt and former Slayer drummer Paul Bostaph are back in the mix? Well, not a whole lot. It's what you'd expect from the band. Fast riffs, the same solos in every song that sound incredibly familiar with the rest of their discography and Araya's blown out vocals, which have been around since the late 90s. The guitars sound a little too fast and light. What I mean by this is if we compare "Repentless" to an album such as "Reign in Blood," you'll notice that the latter has speed, intensity and heavy riffing. The vocals and guitars are in sync with the drums and the overall musicality is perfect. Repentless, on the other hand, the instruments sound a little sloppy and light. The lyrics are lazy at times, especially when it comes to the lyricism. They throw the word "fuck" around as if they were using it as filler, like they were running out of words to put into the song. Not to mention that the lyrics, other than what I've mentioned, are very tongue in cheek, they lack meaning, originality and creativity. As mentioned before, Tom Araya's vocals are blown out, age has definitely caught up with him. I admire the fact that he's still able to belt them out but like Metallica's James Hetfield, they're dry. My main complaint about this installment is the fact that it's same stuff, again. Like, I can't barely tell the difference between this album and their previous work "World Painted Blood." I can't tell if they're genuinely trying to write new material or if they're just giving us the finger, saying "fuck you, give us your money." I love Slayer, have been to their shows and have been a fan for years but I can't help but feel disappointed. Surely, after all the hype the band has brought to this album along with their wine brand, clothing line, shot glass endorsement and all else, that we would expect to get something good here. Sadly, I was wrong.

Needless to say, Slayer isn't what they once were. Half of the original members are gone, their last good album, in my mind, was South of Heaven. They may be past their prime but I have to admire them for the fact that they're still going at it and bringing a sound that all fans recognize, even though it's really repetitive. Despite their recent loss of Jeff Hanneman, this band is filled with very talented and legendary musicians. It's just sad to see their talent wasted on an album such as this. On the bright side, at least they're not like Metallica, right?