© 2002-2017

Extremely Listenable! - 85%

sand, January 22nd, 2003

This is, perhaps, Skyclad's best work. Not their most metal, admittedly, but with great melodies, wonderful lyrics and lots of catchiness, who could ask for more?

I suppose I should go into a bit more detail, so here goes: The album, as a whole is relatively mellow, though un-metal folk may find it too noisy (but who are they to know?). Also most of it has a certain melancholy feel to it (A Clown Of Thorns, Single Phial, Thread of Evermore). And while the other end of the spectrum is also represented (Helium, for example is the closest to jumping for joy skyclad will ever come) it usually has a bittersweet tinge to it, both lyrically and musically.
I could go through the entire album this way, heaping praise on each and every song, but I won't since I think you've gotten my point already.

All in all, if you like melodic, catchy, folk-rock/metal then this one is for you!
Also, it is a great album for when you're not in headbanging mode, but still up for swilling beer (which incidentally, is what I am doing right now).