© 2002-2017

Three all time classics - 85%

morbert, October 11th, 2007

From the Walkyier-era this album is on a par with ‘Irrational Anthem’ in terms of quality and importance. The reason is simple: it contains no less than three of my all time favourite Skyclad songs and a lot of decent material. As a whole the album was better balanced between metal and folk than predecessor “A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol” and the songs themselves are more compact.

I must admit at first the album took a while to settle when I first heard it back in ’93 for it gave the impression at first of being slightly monotone. But after all these years especially ‘Thinking Allowed’, ‘Earth Mother, the Sun and the Furious Host’ and ‘The Ilk of Human Blindness’ have become indispensable Skyclad masterpieces.

Opener ‘Thinking Allowed’ starts of with a catchy mandolin and violin intro before plunging into a great mid paced pounder with nice speed metal riffing. The intro to ‘The Ilk of Human Blindness’ is so beautiful and strong it still gives me goosebumps even after 14 years. The song in itself is immensely strong (great solo right after the intro). The great intro riff and vocal line are repeated in the middle of the song.

‘Earth Mother, the Sun and the Furious Host’ starts with a nice drum intro before swinging into a danceable folk tune. Not to mention the great posh accent details on "Attend our university. Accept responsibility. Chant our mantra of morality until your throat is sore."

These three songs alone make it worth owning the album. The rest of the album is simply very consistent and I never skip a single song when playing the album.