Heav-E! - 99%

HeavyMetalManiac77, June 4th, 2011

Heavier Than Metal. That really just says it all, doesn't it? Skull Fist's debut EP is best described as a sheer balls-out over-the-top heavy metal attack decked out in steel and leather and chrome and death. These Canadian heavy metal warriors are 100% everything you'd expect from a band who would've easily sold out stadium gigs across the land 30 years ago. I am completely convinced that they have traveled through time to rid our present wasteland of homosexual nu-metal and revive the cheesy beast we called heavy metal circa '84-ish.

The EP opens with Sign of the Warrior, a ferocious speedy metal number, followed by not-so-speedy-but-equally-as-heavy Heavier Than Metal, an anthem if I've ever heard one. Next up is Blackout, which is in my humble opinion the weakest track on the album. It's just that time change nearing the end of the song that makes me get up to change the song. No big deal though, I mean, the rest of the song is totally sick. Next up is Ride the Beast, which I guarantee will be stuck in your head for months. A totally catchy track with balls that put Godzilla to shame (in that it's ballsier than Godzilla). The album closes with No False Metal, another solid track in it's own right.

I'll make this brief - if you like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Accept, Scorpions, Angel Witch, Grim Reaper, Running Wild, or any other legendary 80's band, you will completely dig this EP. Go buy it. Now. If you can't stand all these 80's throw-back bands that totally lack any originality, you won't be disappointed in the slightest with this album. Yes, it sounds like an 80's heavy metal album, but it still teems with creativity and heaviness. Like I said, pretty much everyone who calls themselves a metalhead or headbanger needs to own this album. A must-have release, and easily one of the best of 2010. I expect nothing but fantastic things from this band in the future, and after listening to this EP, you will too.

Looking back, that last paragraph wasn't very brief, was it?