© 2002-2021

Now That's More Like It! - 98%

Anus_Canis, February 21st, 2021

Skelethal's sophomore album, Unveiling the Threshold, fixed most of the mistakes made in Of the Depths and made a better-developed album. Unlike in the previous LP, this album gave the drums and the vocals more room to dominate, making this album better-produced and more cohesive. I also enjoyed this album more than the previous one because of its cleaner and more polished sound. I was honestly afraid that Skelethal wouldn't fix the mistakes they made in the previous LP and potentially end up making a worse album as a result. Although I wouldn't rate this album at 100% because I don't consider it flawless, I still think it's awesome nonetheless.

The guitars, fortunately, are not as loud as they were in Of the Depths, which allows the vocals and the drums to dominate (at least somewhat). The drums and the vocals are more noticeable since they were mixed in better, making the album all the more enjoyable and compelling to listen to. The bass, although briefly audible in “Emerging from the Ethereal Threshold”, is virtually missing from the album since it is poorly mixed, although I wouldn’t complain since the other instruments are dope. Overall, the album sounds cleaner and more polished than its predecessor, yet also retains Skelethal's chaotic and cacophonous sound.

Like its predecessor, it is exactly what I would expect from an underground death metal album, except this time, the sound is sharper and more refined. Each of the tracks, although cleaner, shows Skelethal's ability to retain the abrasive sound from their previous LP. I love that aspect of the album since Skelethal (for the most part) learned from their mistakes and made significant improvements to their musical quality while retaining their signature sound, with each track exemplifying this perfectly. Finally, I also love the album cover since it looks like a classic death metal album cover; I love how antediluvian it looks.

However, although I enjoyed Unveiling the Threshold more than Of the Depths, I still have one complaint, which involves the vocals. They aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but, like with the previous LP, they are not a dominant enough force on the album. Although they don't fade into the background nearly as much as they did in Of the Depths (at least comparatively), they're not nearly as forceful or commanding as Ville's vocals in Purtenance's ...to Spread the Flame of Ancients or Jeff Reimer's vocals in Morpheus Descends' Ritual of Infinity. When I listen to a death metal album, I expect the vocal delivery to be forceful and commanding and stand out enough to make them special and to make me want to care about the album. Unfortunately, I don't get that feeling here, although this particular case isn't nearly as disastrous as the one for Ville's vocals in Purtenance's Awaken from Slumber. Overall, the vocals are the only thing preventing me from rating the album any higher.

By and large, Skelethal's Unveiling the Threshold fixed the mistakes made in Of the Depths by improving the production and giving the drums and vocals more room to dominate (at least somewhat). The overall sound of the album, like its predecessors, is precisely what I would expect from an underground death metal album, except this time, it's sharper and more refined than before. I enjoy the cleaner sound of the album; to further elaborate, I enjoyed Skelethal's ability to retain their abrasive sound even after learning from their mistakes and modifying the album's production. I also enjoy the album cover because of its antediluvian appearance, reminding me of a classic death metal album cover. However, as much as I enjoyed the album, the vocals aren't a dominant enough force on the album, which is the only thing preventing me from rating this album any higher. Moreover, Skelethal ended up composing a better-produced album, thus defying my expectations and concerns.