© 2002-2022

Sigh > Shiki > Reviews > John Hohle
Sigh - Shiki

Dark stories of ancient Japan - 85%

John Hohle, November 22nd, 2022

The members of Sigh really took their time to birth their new work. Five years have passed since his last work Heir to Despair, which passed without pain or glory and continues to gather dust in the underground. But with Shiki, none of that happened or will happen.

I was very surprised to hear "Kuroi Kage" with that monstrous intro and how it slowly takes shape. It's like creepy, brutal doom metal. And another detail that impressed me is that the band opted for lyrics in Japanese and it's something that I really liked. They are Japanese, so the lyrics will be in Japanese, fans will venture out trying to find out what they are about.

In this work they overexploit the instruments, no one is left behind. The guitar recreates excellent riffs and solos, for example in "Shoujahitsumetsu" where an infernal drums also sounds. And in the following song "Shikabane" another predominant element of the album also appears, the orchestrations and choruses as in its introduction, giving the music a rather epic and mysterious style. And on the same track, Mirai's clean voice sounds, a resource that was widely used on the previous album, while on this album it appears only at certain moments, but at appropriate times.

Sastui" is wonderful, I had to say it beforehand before describing it a bit. Those choirs and the guitar make an incredible couple in this piece and manage to create something perfect, not to mention in the orchestration moments that give this song even more strength, although there is an unexpected cut in the middle that makes the piece more relaxed. , as if preparing something quite strong. And the last song to highlight entitled "Mayonaka no Kaii" is also another marvel, which is characterized by an epic and melancholic guitar, with quite pleasant wind sections giving it a more unique atmosphere and an aggressive voice giving it that aggressive touch that cannot be miss it.

It is not necessary to clarify that Shiki is immensely superior to Heir to Despair, it is a record that has more ambition, more power and above all quality. It's funny that Shiki reminded me of Hangman's Hymn and Scenes from Hell, two albums that didn't really convince me the day I discovered them, even today. But Shiki is an album that I will have engraved in my mind and that I really value a lot.