© 2002-2021

A Black/Death EP Out of its Natural Character - 87%

felix headbanger, November 15th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2017, CD, I, Voidhanger Records

To those of you who haven't heard of Sheidim yet, they are a black/death metal quartet hailing from Barcelona, Spain. The band has been around since 2013, and they released their first vinyl format EP last 2015 which holds two unrefined and fierce tracks. Just last year, the band had put out their debut studio album under the banner of Dark Descent Records. The debut was named "Shrines of the Void", and that debut showed the extreme metal community the excellent songwriting talent of this Iberian horde. This time around, just last September, the band once again strikes with a new offering called "Infamata".

It is quite remarkable to come across such an even-handed and well-rounded fusion of two sub-genres of extreme metal in a release. "Infamata" is one that belongs to these extraordinary few. This EP from Sheidim was molded by the band to create a bloody profound and pristine experience for its listeners. And they sure had found success in that matter, because "Infamata" showcases a solid synthesis that recalls the best indications of both speed-oriented black metal and death metal.

Every track on this EP was fabricated in an admirable manner. Each offers a really entertaining and catchy ethos. Songs like 'A Dying Sun' and 'Underneath' hit the audiences incredibly hard with its fast and utterly aggressive death metal nature, topped with a very cold and evil atmosphere. Following those two mentioned tracks are 'Wings of the Reaper' and 'Sisters of Sleep', which are both really dark when we speak of aura. The ambiance of those said tunes brings forth a very wicked black metal feel in the background.

All the songs in here also have that evident early Bathory riffing on the guitar section. Outside the Bathory-like guitars, we can also hear numerous diverse guitar riffage delivered by C.S. which varies from classic rock 'n roll to that vintage thrash riffing. I am awed by how quite amazingly C.S. was able to apply all those guitar segments without dragging down that strong black metal mood of the songs. The tremolo riffs present in here are also impressive. It shows an absurd intensity even with its more melodic character. The tremolos sound incredibly aggressive, and even more foul than what you could expect that a black/death metal band would come up.

Alejandro Tedín's bass is perceptible but it maintains composure with the rest of the instruments and does well to complement the music in the album. That audible presence of the bass also adds an extra layer beneath the songs. Considering this is still in theory under the black metal flag, I compliment the band for having a surprisingly audible bass guitar line. Jordi Farré's drum work pounds away with furious blast beats, and it creates a menacing flavor to the offering. Jordi's drumming may not be that exceedingly decorative, but the guy sure knows exactly what he should be playing during each section to maintain the intended maniacal atmosphere in the record.

A.K., the band's frontman, sputters harsh screams and growls that sound like they came from Satan himself. His style, which is somewhere between a roar and a snarl, builds an intensely raw and powerful reinforcement to the tracks in the album. I really dig A.K.'s vocal approach because it is not muffled with effects. The EP's production is also quite solid for an underground extreme metal release. It's really refreshing to me, as I usually enjoy listening to those dreadfully produced basement-type demos and EPs when it comes to extreme music.

Well, there you have it fellas. "Infamata" is a release that definitely has some special offerings for Sheidim's listeners. The violence on this record is intact, and the entire iniquitous concept of black metal and death metal is in full form on this one. I suggest fans of both black and death metal to get a copy of this record. It's really worth the money, and it deserves a place in your metal collection.

Originally written for www.thepitofthedamned.com