One end to receive, one end to give. - 50%

Diamhea, December 12th, 2016

Seth.ECT have a lot of potential, but after Godspeak the band sort of vanished into the æther, at least until they managed to slap enough material together to release this EP, DiMethylTriptamine. Consisting of only four tracks, much of it experimental to the point of contributing little to the final vision, this feels like more of an experiment in seeing which approach works best before committing to another full-length (or at least I hope so). The style here is still rooted in industrial metal, with ephemeral death and black touches, largely concerning the versatility of the riffs and the razor blade leads. Lots of obtuse electronic effects, epic chanting and sound samples pockmark the remainder, resulting in an effort redolent of The Monolith Deathcult at times, albeit with less death metal inclination.

The existence of only four tracks makes this EP a difficult one to draw a final bead on, but I do know one thing: the riffs aren't satisfying me here like they did on Godspeak. Most of DiMethylTriptamine feels like interlude material, occasionally outfitted with vocals and called a song. I guess that is technically true, but there isn't much tension an release going on here. "Orison III" has some heavier moments, but the incessant computerized beeping tests patience far sooner than it should. I really enjoy this band for their more corporeal ethnic elements, like the steel drum intro of "Puparium." It adds a very evocative human alternative to the industrial machine force that dominates the rest of Seth.ECT's sound. It almost sounds like it could function via dichotomy sort of like Septicflesh, but the problem is that this song is just one extended experiment without any metal backbone to bounce virulence off of. In isolation it is great, with raw saw leads cutting through trance-inspired backings. It certainly works as a backing track, but to what I can't exactly say.

"Snowflakes' Creation" is another extended ambient piece, this time with a more natural feel and strings/piano dominating the sonic landscape. The atmosphere is dense, but as mentioned this feels like a raw blueprint for an interlude or intro track stretched to fill space. From what I gather, this band has had some issues with members relocating, and much of DiMethylTriptamine was recorded via long distance. For what it is, it certainly helps to know that the band is still active, but there isn't enough material here to truly see where Seth.ECT's sound has evolved to. Not really worth picking up, but I would like to see the band incorporate some of these ambient elements into their next record, if we ever get one.