Sepultura can still Thrash!!! If they wanted to. - 65%

Immortal666, March 13th, 2008

Yes, Sepultura can still thrash with the best of them. They proved it here on their all-covers album Revolusongs with their perfect, dare I say it, better than the original rendition of Exodus' "Piranha". Listening to this track makes me imagine Beneath the Remains-era Sepultura being transported to the modern day setting. The uncredited track 8 teased me some more as the faint opening strains of Metallica’s "Enter Sandman" soon morphed into the wicked thrash riff of "Fight Fire With Fire" before it faded and left me shaking my head in dismay on what could've been had the Seps' completed the track. They can still thrash...if they wanted to. The skill is there but they lack the willingness so it seems.

But alas, that's just the last two songs on the CD. There's still the other tracks to discuss. "Messiah", a Hellhammer cover, open things up and starts this album up on a positive note with its heavy handed riffing and powerful drum beats. At first I didn't even recognize that it was Derrick Green doing vocals on this track. For a second, I thought Max had done guest vocals. From the headbanging beginning, the mood immediately tapers off on track two with their cover of Massive Attack's "Angel". While obviously heavier and given the 'Sepultura treatment', it's a dragging and unexciting song. Public Enemy's "Black Steel..." witnesses the Sep's foray into rap metal - and that can't be good right? Right.

The mood shifts positively on the next track which is a cover of Devo's "Monggoloid", an upbeat track that kicks into hardcore high-gear as it closes. "Mountain Song", a Janes' Addiction original, works well as it sounds like a heavy alternative rock track with ringing guitars that don't try to sound metal. I consider myself a U2 fan and despite this, I have never liked "Bullet the Blue Sky". Thus, Sepultura's cover of this song didn't work for me as they didn't add anything new to it. They just made a boring rock song a heavier but still boring song. The last track is the true highlight of this entire album and I already discussed it at the start of this review so there's no need to reiterate.

So is this album worth your money? Probably not. You can easily download Sepultura's cover of "Piranha" somewhere in the wide world web. But I got this cheap and by accident so if by chance you'll be put in a similar situation and you're not starving for food - don't hesitate to pick this up.

Well executed cover songs - 89%

toofargone, April 7th, 2004

I’ve always thought that cover albums can be a sort of hit and miss affair, which is why I was glad to see Sepultura hit the nail right on the head with their attempt, ‘Revoulsongs’. Featuring such classics as Hellhammers’ ‘Messiah’, Jane Addiction’s ‘Moutain Song’, and even U2’s ‘Bullet the Blue Sky’, this EP has a nice array of songs. From fast and heavy ‘Messiah’, to the thrashing punk song ‘Mongoloid’ to mostly slow, memorable ‘Bullet the Blue Sky’ the listener’s sure to find plenty on offer.
It’s hard to make good assessment on an album like this unless you’ve actually heard most of the originals. I must admit that I haven’t heard them all, but what I can support is the fact that the songs are all well executed, showing off all of the member’s talents and strengths. I was especially surprised by Derrick Green’s vocals on tracks like ‘Messiah’ and ‘Angel’, where he shows that he can actually put on a display of heavy vocals, something not always obvious on this EP, or any of his work with Sepultura for that matter. Andreas Kisser plays guitar with the best of them, Paulo Jr. shows that the same can be said for him on his bass and Igor Cavalera executes the songs on hand with absolute perfection. All that coupled together with some great songs, I’m sure that any Sepultura fan, or even anybody that’s musically diverse, can find lots to satisfy themselves with. But, I do have one complaint with this EP, the cover of ‘Black Steel In the Hour of Chaos’. If you can look past the scratches and rap, which is at one point is in the band’s native language and at another done with heavy vocals, then your enjoyment won’t be hindered in the least.