© 2002-2024

Septage > Septic Decadence > Reviews > we hope you die
Septage - Septic Decadence

Something about judging a book - 87%

we hope you die, October 26th, 2020

On their first demo ‘Septic Decadence’, Septage have achieved a sound that feels like it is in conflict with itself. Judging by the track titles, the Carcass ripoff/tribute cover art, the name of the band, the overall aura we are presented with, we’d assume we’re in for a slab of straight up goregrind. But no, aside from the blocked plug vocals and a couple of short to-the-point numbers, this demo is pretty sophisticated death metal; like a technical Autopsy. Whether it’s goregrind striving for additional dimensions, or death metal attempting to strip itself of all intellectual aspiration, is really by the way. This is frantic, chromatic, dense death metal that calls to mind Sadistic Drive’s first album ‘Anthropophagy’ for a similar work that attempts to hide its own sophistication behind a dirty aesthetic.

The production is actually pretty clean, with a guitar tone rendered clean enough to do justice to the intricacy of the off-kilter riffs. Drums are also clear and tight, operating as a law unto themselves, forcing the guitars, already articulating odd and unorthodox riff shapes, through a bizarre grinder of tempo changes. It’s only really the vocals that go full goregrind, operating at the guttural range, losing the lyrics to the wind (although we can probably guess their general thrust based on the track titles).

With that in mind, ‘Septic Decadence’ turns out to be a pleasant surprise. Not only is it well crafted, dirty death metal, it also offers some engaging and oddball choices that keep one guessing. It’s not technical in an in-your-face way, rather using this to service the mire of droll, alienating riffs. Nor is it overly keen to exhibit its idiosyncrasies in the form of cheap novelty. There are certainly some grind riffs thrown in, but they used as a link between passages of sophisticated chromatic riff building, underpinned by drums that are just as happy to blast as they are to offer a back-beat. A refreshingly straightforward release that smuggles in plenty of layers of complexity and talking points beneath the primal veneer.

Originally published at Hate Meditations