Decent Stoner Rock - 65%

Petrus_Steele, August 13th, 2019
Written based on this version: 2004, CD, Losing Face Records

After Jesse Leach left Killswitch Engage as the band started to rise on top of the charts due to his personal struggles in life, he at least found a momentary light in this stoner rock project, Seemless (although it's important to note that he was still friends with the band and there wasn't any bad blood. He's featured in two songs on the band's so-called opus magnum, The End of Heartache). It features original and metalcore pioneer, Pete Cortese on guitars, Derek Kerswill on drums, and Kevin Schuler on bass (who was later replaced by Jeff Fultz). Don't expect any metalcore in this one, just some catchy riffs, and a few screams.

Something's Got to Give is overall a simple but good track. The verses are properly written and calming, thanks to the guitar, the short and simple choruses aren't bad either, despite featuring the main generic riff. The Wanderer is thankfully groovier than the first track and the bass sounds savage. Jesse's cleans sound even better than before. With Soft Spoken Sanity you start to appreciate this album even more because it's starting to sound much better, as each track goes by. As for the song itself, it simply sounds good; although my first impression was that it sounded too southern or very radio-friendly. All in all, great vocals and great riffs. For more atmosphere, Endless is the song for the job, which I think it's the best song on the album. The main melody is played throughout the entire song, but don't see it as a sign of repetitiveness since obviously, it transitions to the advertised 'stoner rock' and the song gets a lot heavier. The instrumental track, All Is Not Lost was better than the intro. It's got more depth. In This Life made for a promising closing track for the album. It's got beautiful choruses and a melodic bridge - and sounds as good as the first four tracks.

The album's got a pretty slick intro. The sound slowly fades in, and as it progresses there's an extra deep chorus-effected guitar. I wouldn't say it's a bad intro, but its simplicity didn't make for a proper impression. Haze is a simple stoner rock song that becomes forgettable after one listen. The music and the writing for it was generic. Same can be said for the following tracks: The Crisis and Lay My Burden Down. War / Peace isn't generally bad, but it becomes forgettable as the song progresses. It's also the longest track. In My Time of Need is another groovy and somewhat blues-ish guitar riffs, but doesn't really hold a candle to the first four tracks.

I suppose it was a wrong call to say this album only gets better as each track goes by, when almost the second portion is generic, right after Endless. So at least the last two tracks made a better outro. Seems like it sounds a lot better than the first time I listened to it, yet digging Soft Spoken Sanity and the instrumental track even more so. So the best tracks are Something's Got to Give, Endless, and In This Life.

Soul music for the metalhead. - 90%

Kyosanshugi, July 18th, 2006

OK, let me start off by saying this kind of groovy metal is not for everyone. It's an acquired taste, like sushi. That said, Seemless rocks ass. The songwriting is tight, the production is well-balanced, although there is very little room for headbanging here. The drums get you in the groove, while the skillful, pronounced guitar riffs just force you to throw up the horns. Vocals are mostly clean and soulful, with some screams thrown in, and it all balances out perfectly. The lyrics, while pretty obviously focusing on christian themes, are so written that they never force the point. Anyone can relate. Personally, I think of Seemless as a soulful gospel choir with a fucking kickass band. If that makes any sense, and the idea appeals, check these guys out. You won't be disappointed.