The Grave Must Have Helped - 66%

SweetLeaf95, August 28th, 2019

Earlier this year, I covered the latest Seax effort titled Fallout Rituals, an album that I was iffy on until it grew on me. Going back a little in time, I've found that they've clearly evolved, and that going into this so-called grave did wonders. I say that because To The Grave is one of the most mediocre speed metal albums I've heard in a long time. The bread and butter of that style is all there, but no full-course meal shows any signs of making an appearance.

That said, you can expect riffing and loads of power chords being hammered out at breakneck speeds. That's all well and good, but it's very difficult to find much to distinguish the songs from one another. Don't get me wrong, the solos give hints at beefy playing ability. I'm also guilty of tapping my feet to numbers like "Oldskull," as solid chord progressions are buried deep into this. Even the production isn't terrible, as the noisier aura give Seax some life and pushes them away from an overused sound. Vocally though, there's very little kick and it sounds like the front-man hardly cares about the attitude or anything he's belting out. A little rasp could have assisted in filling out this hollow gap, but sadly there just doesn't seem to be much life.

On the bright side, the two newest albums feature a different frontman that has much more life to him, and the music itself is written significantly better. I'll admit that it may take some time to grow, but the past two efforts are promising. To The Grave on the other hand serves nothing more than a half hour of fast energy without a system to utilize it. Nothing unbearable, and worth hearing once, but that's all I'd suggest.