Unstoppable Force - 100%

SweetLeaf95, October 20th, 2015

Nearing the end of the decade, Scorpions put out one of their last records of the '70s, in which I call their climax for this time period, mixing their original styles with styles yet to prevail. In 1977, Taken By Force was dropped, and is without a doubt my favorite record of theirs from the 1970's. There's only so much you can package into one magnificent release, and they touch just about all of it here.

In this record, you will hear some of the greatest guitar work ever displayed in the early heavy metal years. Imagine taking the beautiful compositions displayed on their debut album Lonesome Crow, and mixing it with a harder, yet more refined sound, as well as played by a different guitarist, Ulrich Roth. All of them are played with such melodic complexion, yet a harder edge at the same time. "We'll Burn The Sky" is probably the greatest example of this, mostly because of the solo in the outro, but it's pretty solid the whole way through as well. This song also contains some of the softer guitar parts which makes for a stellar mix of guitar tracks. The same can be said about the bass on here, as it's very audible and plays such a large role in the musical make-up. As it makes for a great layout for the faster guitar parts, it's also perfect for the slower parts. Take "Your Light" for example, as it acts as a bridge between vocals parts along with the guitar. Overall, the musical composition on this record is nearly perfect, and would make it a tough one to top.

As well as the music itself, Klaus's vocals are at some of their finest as well. Most people could recognize it by hearing it, as it has a distinct sound. Here, we see a lot of signs of a more powerful approach, and what one would expect in the '80s records, such as on Animal Magnetism. At the same time, we can see influences from the earlier work, most evident on my favorite track, "I've Got To Be Free". While melody is vastly important, the enthusiasm and lack of holding back any air is what makes it so great. This kind of vocal output on top of the guitar work makes for the perfect track, and if you're not that familiar with Scorpions, I would highly recommend this one as a starter. With a variety of guitar sounds and vocal work, this album sure packs in a lot of beautiful tunes all across the spectrum.

Of course, there's one thing I missed. You can't talk about this album without mentioning "He's A Woman, She's A Man". The last thing that tops this album off is the earliest sign of speed metal riffing, and is often credited as one of the first. Arguably, it's between this, Black Sabbath's "Symptom Of The Universe", and Judas Priest's "Exciter". But this track was the perfect way to tie everything together, by adding some harsher sounds to the classic metal sounds, softer calm parts, and signs of what would come in the future with a lot of melody mixed in.