Their Second Biggest Mistake - 35%

SweetLeaf95, May 12th, 2018

This is gonna be short and simple. Comeblack is essentially broken into two parts; the first half of it being re-recordings of classic hits that made their career big, and the second half being all covers. The grand outcome? A pretty worthless disc that should only be bought for the intent of completing the discography collection (like myself). As mentioned many times, Eye II Eye is the worst thing that they've ever done, but this is next in line.

The re-recorded tracks are what mainly makes this worthless. Why? Because why would you want to hear songs that were already great in their prime, then re-done with less feel to them? KISS did the same thing with their Sonic Boom release, and it was just as worthless. It may as well have just been a live album, at least there'd be a point to it. Classics like "The Zoo" and "Rhythm Of Love" now lack the ecstatic kick that made them great years back. The only reason these tracks get any points at all is because when push comes to shove, they are great tunes that I'll sing to, just packaged in a completely unnecesasry way and produced for no real value.

The covers save this from being an absolute shitshow, and gives this a shred of purpose. Their cover of The Small Faces' "Tin Solder" is pretty incredible (Also see Quiet Riot's cover of this off of their debut album). The Rolling Stones classic "Ruby Tuesday" is pretty outstanding as well, giving it a much cleaner approach than Jagger and friends did. Other covers include The Kinks, The Beatles, etc. They're ok, but really don't hold any special value. The only one that's a piece of trash from this half is the cover of "Tainted Love". This song is God awful no matter who does it; Gloria Jones, Marilyn Manson, Scorpions, you name it.

What could have made this more tolerable? Well for one, dropping the entire first half. There is absolutely no point to it, end of discussion. Secondly, drop "Tainted Love", and release the remaining five covers as a covers EP. This would have been much more suitable. Two great covers, and three alright ones. Only get this if you share my desire to own every Scorpions album.

Another re-make of once good music... - 20%

oldfromthe80smetal, January 31st, 2012

There is not much I can say to the once good music that came from the Scorpions. Except that they used to play hard, heavy and good songs. I had to give Comeblack a play as maybe they would put some different - potentially harder and speedier - style to these tracks they re-did.

Well, they didn't do it right. They made each song sound slower and softer than the original. On Blackout, they actually sounded pretty good for the copy but still mellower, older and not enough push to make it pleasurable. On Rhythm Of Love, they made a horrid mistake of making the opening riff sound like a country intro. Worse still, as it is for all the songs here, the stale sounds are more present than attempting to give it all that they could. You can tell that Klaus is going on 64. The voice I really wanted to hear if he would try to out-do himself. That was a Klaus-all fail (I may have heard that somewhere before). The guitars sounded tuned pretty well and has the heavy potential, but hey never get their tightness and overall fluid sound working - not to mention the regular speeds they should have tried to maintain.

The cover songs, The Beatles - Across the Universe, The Stones - Ruby Tuesday, and Small Faces - Tin Soldier were done pretty well, the originals were good songs and they didn't take much away from those. They didn't do a bad job on any of the covers, but it just isn't up to par of the sounds I expected.

After hearing all songs a couple of times, I actually felt worse about the good memories I had for the original songs and the albums they came from. The remakes didn't change my view of the originals - every band can use some more practice. My score is a 20% as I can always add to my full collection of my Scorpions tunes but an overall LOSS of the band moving forward I fear has now befallen the once heralded heavy metal powerhouse.