Classic Scorps - 100%

CraiggyOats, June 18th, 2018

Blackout is an outstanding platter and most of the songs on Blackout are excellent. Songs like Blackout, Now!, and Dynamite are great pseudo-speed metal in the style of Exciter by Judas Priest and Paranoid by Black Sabbath. No One Like You is a classic and fantastic power ballad and it is not sappy. Arizona is an underrated mid-paced rocker that should have been a radio hit. Blackout is about a drug overdose and is fast, heavy, and catchy. China White is a doom and gloom antiwar song that is underrated and a big highlight. You Give Me All I Need is also a great mid-paced rocker like Arizona. The only song I do not care for is When the Smoke is Going Down but it is ok. It just does not compare to the rest of the album in terms of greatness. The songs are great because of the quality of the performance by each band member.

The guitars are great. They are crunchy, melodic, and heavy. Rudolph Schenker and Matthias Jabs did a great job on the album with their guitarwork. Schenker and Jabs’ solos are fantastic. Klaus Meine had a throat operation before this album was produced but he sounds great on every track. His vocals on this album rival Rob Halford. Herman Rarebell’s drums are fast paced and solid. There is only one thing about his album I do not particularly like.

The album artwork is weird. Scorpions have a lot of weird or stupid album artworks. There are many great rock and metal album covers but this is not one of them. I do not get the idea behind a man with what looks like gauze on his head and forks in his eyes shattering a plane a glass. I enjoy quality album artwork but this artwork is just weird and not a good way. It is probably the only thing about this album I do not like. However, I will give the artist credit for designing an album cover that is unique.

This album is a bridge between the 1970s hard rock and heavy metal of Scorpions to the pop metal that they would transition to in the 1980s. Scorpions were labeled as a glam metal band in the 1980s but they are really traditional 1970s metal and traditional 1980s metal with some pop. They did not have as much pop in their sound such as bands like Winger. Scorpions have more in common with Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Dio than Motley Crue, Ratt, Poison, and Winger. Scorpions are traditional metal with pop influences and this album is a prime example of that.

This album is one of Scorpions' best. I am not as familiar with their 1970s output but I know they had some solid albums in the 1970s such as Taken by Force, In Trance, and Virgin Killer. Blackout is probably Scorpions’ best album of the 1980s. Taken by Force is probably their best album of the 1970s.

This album is a hybrid of traditional 1980s metal along with 1980s pop metal. However, this album is heavier and faster than most pop metal of the time period. It is also of much higher quality than most pop metal of the time period. This is one of the best hard rock and heavy metal albums of the 1980s and of all time.

Favorite Tracks: Almost all of them.