© 2002-2022

Satanized > Possessed by Darkness > Reviews
Satanized - Possessed by Darkness

An evil spawn into Traditional Black Metal realm - 100%

IMR666, October 8th, 2010

Hailing from the lands of Muslim's territory Istanbul, Turkey comes a Black Metal horde Satanized who recently caught my attention in a very short duration of time. To tell you more about them, the band was formed in the year 2005 by the frontman Angramainyu(Vocals & Guitars) and Dahaka(Keyboards) and Daeva (bass). After parting ways with the band's initial members Barbas(Drums) and Thoth(Guitars) due to ideological reasons which lead to the fight in the band that also caused cerebral injury of the frontman, the band line-up currently looks strong after the introduction of Beliar(Guitars) and Xaphan(Drums). The band basically play Melodic Black Metal drawing their musical influences from the Eastern culture and Persian mythology alot and their lyrical themes is mostly based on Anti-Religion matter. There are very rare bands who really take Black Metal genre serioulsy and Satanized is one amongst them not only musically but also in each and every aspect from a band point of view, yes I mean my words. Where Black Metal genre has become quite stagnant, here is Satanized to quench away your evil desires!
Possessed By Darkness (E.P), was the debut effort by the Turkish mongers and yes it is truly spellbinding. As far as my experiences is concerned regarding digging the Black Metal genre from across the world, I would say currently Satanized today is one of the most important works from the lands of Turkey who have been one amongst the few who are trying to take music to a new level spiritually and personally. I have been listening to this one several times now and I continuously find myself astounded by the E.P’s perfection musically and lyrically. One of the real stand outs for me on this soulful disc are the keyboards. The band here deliver's a powerful, unrelenting and surprisingly a unique offering on Thorn Laceration Records , which indeed is a new face into the Black Metal scene. Overall, the band with their latest E.P is not offering a typical straight-forward Black Metal that we listen nowdays but have have tried to amalgamate the eastern influences with that of the Black Metal music which can be very easily heard in their musical style but it is a beautiful moving piece which slowly captures your soul with darkness.

The title track for this E.P, Abysmal Persecution starts off with slow churning guitars and melancholic guitars filled with depressive essence. The guitar leads at 2:00 minutes is damn catchy and memorable here. This is one of the most melodic song on the E.P which slowly builds up the descending darkness all over. Ba’alzebub begins with thick, slow moving riffs and some keyboard work to build up the atmosphere. The slower pace is ominous and bleak, but features some nicely timed frantic blasts to keep it from getting too slow. This track has some of the best guitar leads at the end which truly takes over you mind leaving you drooling for more, as well.The band gets a bit raw with the next track, Call of the Dead Army which starts with a siren sound and drum beats. The main thing what I liked about this song is the musical composition but the vocals does not seem to be killing the lepered souls to the foremost or else this could have been another great track. The breakdown at 3:06 minutes really drives the track insane with hate filled music and vocals seems to be much better than the beginning and fades away slowly with beautiful keyboard work in the end. The album ends with the title track of the album and also my favorite Possessed By Darkness which arrives as a storm with full force to mark yourself in hell.

So, now if you will to not to restrict yourself from all those mainstream Black Metal bands and if you think underground music is still alive then here is something for you that is really devilish. This is one of those discs that will really surprise your ears with melancholy. I don't think I am wrong if I call this masterpiece work a DRUG that is nearly intoxicant for those who can whole-heartedly throw themselves into these kind of music. I went into this one without preconcieved ideas regarding the music it held and ended up really getting me mesmerized. The band’s shift in musical direction and soulful melodies really make this album one to listen to repeatedly. Perhaps it’s the creative musicianship, the catchy riffs or complete disregard for religions that causes it to be such a grabbing experience, but I just cannot seem to get enough of this material. For you folks, I will summate this whole thing into very simple words, "Hear it, Believe it"!

My First Turkish Experience. - 55%

Perplexed_Sjel, June 12th, 2010

I’m weary of listening to bands with clichéd names, but I’m giving Satanized the benefit of the doubt because, well, I have to. This Turkish band, formed in 2005, is actually a lot more interesting than it first appears. The bands name might be a bit too stereotypical for my liking, but the lyrical themes, in particular, are incredibly interesting and enhance the music tenfold despite its occasionally tacky feel. Turkish black metal is actually a topic I don’t believe I’ve ever covered before on Metal Archives, despite reviewing over eight-hundred separate pieces of material in my reviewing career. Better late than never, right? Turkish black metal is a topic I have very limited knowledge on, as you can imagine. I’m not even sure if I’ve ever listened to a Turkish black metal band before and my knowledge of their scene believes that it surely must be quite small and obscure. Turkey certainly have’t played a big part in the modernisation of black metal, but this tidy EP, entitled ‘Possessed By Darkness’, is actually a rather interesting look into a small faction of their current scene.

The EP, though it seems to point to a traditional influence given the name of it, the name of the band and even their band picture, is actually fairly modernised itself. The first song, for example, features light keyboards, which can sound fairly tacky on occasions and Eastern sounding riffs, which is enhanced by the lyrical themes of Persian Mythology. I’d be interested in hearing more material of this type given the lyrical themes and Eastern vibes alone. The second song, entitled ‘Ba'al Zebub’, is a lot more traditional than the opening song, though the Middle Eastern vibes are still present through the use of keyboards which are integrated well into the soundscapes. These experimental elements make Satanized worth listening to. If it wasn’t for the occasional cleaner aspects of the guitars, which appears to feature acoustics on the opening song alongside the keyboards, a very smart move on the part of the band, this would probably evolve into a very mediocre EP. The song writing does well to include lighter parts which become central to the theme of the band.

The opening song is a lot stronger than ‘Ba'al Zebub’ which features some lacklustre riffs and a production job that could have been a lot more professional sounding. The production on the EP is a hindrance, but I didn’t expect much else from a small band, in a part of the world where this type of music is very under-developed. The production is tired feeling, but still doesn’t detract from the acoustics, which are far too sparse an element, and the keyboards, which are consistent throughout. The vocals could also do with improving, but there is talent there. The vocals, like most elements, are layered. One branch of the vocals are rasped, though with little to no affect on the mood of the album and the other branch is growled in a very death metal sounding way. These growled vocals need not appear on the album. They too feel out-of-place and tacky. The vocals should have been left at rasps alone, rather than trying to incorporate growls alongside them. One is always bound to over roar the other and that is precisely what happens with the growls being a lesser background element.

I assume the supposed folk side to the band comes through the use of acoustics on the first song and the keyboards? The lyrics obviously deal with folksy type themes, like mythology, but I don’t get the feeling that much of this EP is a folk tinged EP. ‘Call of the Dead Army’ uses a stylistic approach akin to blackened folk, specifically through the keyboards, but I don’t really think that constitutes a black/folk band, or EP. Perhaps they’ve changed their style since the release of this 2009 EP. Dahaka’s performance on keyboards is probably the stand-out element, though his backing vocals are unnecessary, which mars his own personal performance a bit. The EP is a pleasant enough start without ever really excelling. The keyboards, as aforementioned, are the best element despite feeling a little tacky on occasions, but there is much work to be done before this band are ready for a full-length debut.