Aryan Blood / Satanic Warmaster - 70%

BlackMetal213, May 3rd, 2012

Well.... This is not for everyone. On this Split EP, we hear the music of two black metal bands: Aryan Blood, an NSBM band from the land of Germany, and Satanic Warmaster, from the nordic country of Finland. The music on this EP is not very consistent, but I will get into that in a minute. It is time to speak of the two bands individually and why I gave this EP the rating I did.

First off, the Aryan Blood side of the EP. I'll admit, I am not a fan of Aryan Blood, mainly because this is literally the ONLY thing from this band I have heard. I listened to this split for Satanic Warmaster. There are three tracks from Aryan Blood on this release, and they all show a very raw, primitive production sound. Now, of course, this is only to be expected. "Einklang" serves as an intro track. This track is, actually, probably my "favorite" track on the Aryan Blood side of the split. Even though it is just an intro, it is very dark, atmospheric, ambient, and mystifying. However, the next tracks "Strength, Pride, Nobility" and "Totenkopfes schwarze Brut" are just average, ordinary, raw, fast black metal songs. Nothing too special. They are not necessarily terrible, but pretty bland and not good. The music is not crafted too well, and at times sounds somewhat annoying. It actually, at times, seems to sound rushed. Sort of like a demo done in ONE take, and left at that. A good example of this would be Vlad Tepes of the Les L├ęgions Noires with their demo "Return of the Unweeping" being produced and written in a WORSE manner than it already is. Basically, this band is trying to be as "trve" and "kvlt" as possible without even trying to make the music sound at least fucking decent. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE raw black metal, in fact, I love it a lot. But Aryan Blood just does not appeal to me.

Next up, we have the main attraction to this split EP. Finland's Satanic Warmaster. This band (to some) COULD be described as somewhat NSBM too, due to the themes of pride, war, and some themes of Aryan triumph. Now to talk about the music. Only one Satanic Warmaster track is on the EP, and it is entitled "The Chant of the Barbarian Wolves." The track starts off with a soothing ambient intro which lasts until around 1 minute 50 seconds into the track. This intro, actually, is one of my favorite moments on the EP. It has a folky sound to it, and when listening, one could imagine marching to victory in a triumphant battle. The raw, melodic, and hateful Satanic Warmaster riffs we all know and love roll in after the beautiful intro. This track is full of these amazing riffs, and don't forget Werewolf's amazing, hateful vocals. He surely is able to produce his painful, melancholic screams with ease. This is the ONLY reason to listen to this split. Aryan Blood is really just a filler here, as they do nothing interesting and stick to the "trve kvlt" label a little too much. Honestly, I do not understand why Satanic Warmaster decided to release this on a split with Aryan Blood. I would much rather him release it as a single or on one of his own EP's. Hail Satanic Warmaster. This is one of his finest works.

Remember, Satanic Warmaster is really the only reason to listen to this. I would have probably given this a 50% (or maybe even less) if it had not been for Satanic Warmaster's "The Chant of the Barbarian Wolves."