Hate, war, & the destruction of Christianity! - 94%

WOLFsBLOOD1349, February 15th, 2010

What has Satanic Warmaster propagated here? If Stalin & Hitler were alive today and listened to black metal, this is the shit that would be ripped to their iTunes! What I mean by that is Carelian Satanist Madness is a soundtrack to war and annihilation! It literally drips with the reigning sounds of honour & tyranny under a full moon. Just as I thought black metal was starting to thaw out along its frozen path and entirely lost its purpose, I found this grim piece of black art. Satanic Warmaster once again enshrouds my love for black metal with complete darkness.

It's hard to write a black metal review without mentioning the first wave of BM bands like Venom, Bathory, Sodom, Hellhammer, and NME who paved the way with their extreme versions of heavy metal. Or the second wave of BM bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Samael, & Dissection who violently established the genre and built the foundation for today's BM bands with their incredibly dark and unforgettable albums. This is true black metal! If you like bands like Kristallnacht, Northern Frost, Bilskirnir, Mutiilation, or Vargsang try to find this album and buy it, download it, whatever! Satanic Warmaster is a Finnish one man project from the mind of Nazgul, aka Satanic Tyrant Werwolf. Among the slew of demo's, split's, and ep's this is the 3rd full length release from Satanic Warmaster. Typically I'm not a big fan of Finnish black metal; however Satanic Warmaster never ceases to amaze me. I didn't think twice of acquiring this release regardless of the cost. So if you get the chance to grab this album, don't let it slip through the cracks.

Carelian Satanist Madness has everything a classic kult black metal release should have. From beginning to end, this album has a hold of your emotions and doesn't let go. You go from feeling perpetual hate, to the triumph of war, to feeling eminent sadness & sorrow. The production is cold and powerful. Unlike other Satanic Warmaster releases, this album was produced with a cleaner sound (not polished like Marduk's stuff) and still delivers that raw & icy aura. These are some of the coldest vocals in black metal today; they're grim like hell itself. The riffs are simple, but very effective and have that killer buzz saw sound that hypnotizes me with every listen. As the preparation of war streams through your speakers the drums compliment those killer riffs and go from a simple two-beat, then hit you with an occasional blast, and then slows to a funeral march that will be stuck in your head for days. The lyrical content is filled with distinct hatred and creates visions of malevolence. There is a definite sense of elitism and NS themes throughout this album. Even if you don't agree with the ideology of NSBM you shouldn't let that stop you from trying to find it. Overall the driving force behind all 8 songs is the continual tempo changes that create the entire atmosphere to the highest order. You will not be disappointed.

Considering how bleak and depressing the black metal scene is today with all the trendy bands and merchandise whores, it’s always nice to find a gem like this. As long as Satanic Warmaster and other bands alike keep making great music and staying true to the quintessence of this precious genre, the penetrating light upon the black metal scene today will again be cloaked by the dark and kept underground where it belongs. Keep black metal alive for its sole purpose!