Satanic Tyrant Werwolf at his peak! - 97%

JunaidKhan, October 2nd, 2005

This is, by far, Satanic Warmaster's finest album. It's strength lies in it's diversity - from mellow tracks like "My Dreams of 8" and melodic tracks like "The Vampiric Tyrant" to tracks like "True Blackness", where you get this feeling of evil with the dark riffs. Despite all that, this album has Tyrant Werewolf's finger-prints all over it.

Although this album is diverse, as I said before, most of the tracks tend to lie on the more melodic side. This isn't exactly a bad thing though since the production is still very raw and underground. It also makes for good hearing - after all, this is Pagan Metal from the depths of Finland. The melodic element usually consists of a few breakdowns here and there but mostly single-notation-riffs, especially in the slower tracks like "My Dreams of 8". Otherwise, it's just your normal Black Metal power-chord show but even that is done in a very melodic way. Check out the rhythm guitaring in "Eaten By Rats" to see what I mean.

A lot of work has gone into this album. I can even hear the bass breakdowns in this album and the drumming is very elaborate for a one-man project. There are even tracks in which Tyrant Werewolf's used two guitars. You can only imagine how much blood and sweat has gone into this album. To top it all up, the production for this album is PERFECT. Perfect in the sense that this is what underground Black Metal should sound like - the instruments are very audible and the highly raw and distorted guitars and the raw, even "naked", drum-sound keeps hitting you. This is up there with Graveland! This is what underground Black Metal made in the spirit of the first wave of Black Metal should sound like.

8 tracks at 40 minutes - I don't have any issues with that. If you're into any form of Black Metal, "Carelian Satanist Madness" will definitely appeal to you. This is a very strong contender for the best Black Metal album of the year, in my opinion. They're projects like these that are keeping Black Metal alive in it's truest form so buy this album!

All in all, as awesome release. Couldn't get any better than this. Satanic Warmaster's always been a little under-rated when compared with the "bigger" names but I can't see that happening anymore.