© 2002-2017

Hate, war, & the destruction of Christianity! - 94%

WOLFsBLOOD1349, February 15th, 2010

What has Satanic Warmaster propagated here? If Stalin & Hitler were alive today and listened to black metal, this is the shit that would be ripped to their iTunes! What I mean by that is Carelian Satanist Madness is a soundtrack to war and annihilation! It literally drips with the reigning sounds of honour & tyranny under a full moon. Just as I thought black metal was starting to thaw out along its frozen path and entirely lost its purpose, I found this grim piece of black art. Satanic Warmaster once again enshrouds my love for black metal with complete darkness.

It's hard to write a black metal review without mentioning the first wave of BM bands like Venom, Bathory, Sodom, Hellhammer, and NME who paved the way with their extreme versions of heavy metal. Or the second wave of BM bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Samael, & Dissection who violently established the genre and built the foundation for today's BM bands with their incredibly dark and unforgettable albums. This is true black metal! If you like bands like Kristallnacht, Northern Frost, Bilskirnir, Mutiilation, or Vargsang try to find this album and buy it, download it, whatever! Satanic Warmaster is a Finnish one man project from the mind of Nazgul, aka Satanic Tyrant Werwolf. Among the slew of demo's, split's, and ep's this is the 3rd full length release from Satanic Warmaster. Typically I'm not a big fan of Finnish black metal; however Satanic Warmaster never ceases to amaze me. I didn't think twice of acquiring this release regardless of the cost. So if you get the chance to grab this album, don't let it slip through the cracks.

Carelian Satanist Madness has everything a classic kult black metal release should have. From beginning to end, this album has a hold of your emotions and doesn't let go. You go from feeling perpetual hate, to the triumph of war, to feeling eminent sadness & sorrow. The production is cold and powerful. Unlike other Satanic Warmaster releases, this album was produced with a cleaner sound (not polished like Marduk's stuff) and still delivers that raw & icy aura. These are some of the coldest vocals in black metal today; they're grim like hell itself. The riffs are simple, but very effective and have that killer buzz saw sound that hypnotizes me with every listen. As the preparation of war streams through your speakers the drums compliment those killer riffs and go from a simple two-beat, then hit you with an occasional blast, and then slows to a funeral march that will be stuck in your head for days. The lyrical content is filled with distinct hatred and creates visions of malevolence. There is a definite sense of elitism and NS themes throughout this album. Even if you don't agree with the ideology of NSBM you shouldn't let that stop you from trying to find it. Overall the driving force behind all 8 songs is the continual tempo changes that create the entire atmosphere to the highest order. You will not be disappointed.

Considering how bleak and depressing the black metal scene is today with all the trendy bands and merchandise whores, it’s always nice to find a gem like this. As long as Satanic Warmaster and other bands alike keep making great music and staying true to the quintessence of this precious genre, the penetrating light upon the black metal scene today will again be cloaked by the dark and kept underground where it belongs. Keep black metal alive for its sole purpose!

Astonishing. - 98%

Anaktas, March 13th, 2008

When I got my hands on this cd, I tell you I had no idea what the heck was coming my way. In fact I always wondered what new can a band (which essentially plays Norse-styled BM) offer. Instead, when I put this album in my cd player, it was as if Satan himself slapped me in the face and made me love "Carelian Satanist Madness".

I can tell you that bands like Satanic Warmaster give Black Metal a rejuvenating touch. The man behind SWM, Satanic Tyrant Werwolf, is gifted with inspiration and keeps the flame alive. If you get past the awful production, you will acknowledge that you just bought a fabulous album.

So, what have we here? We have about 36 minutes of mainly fast-paced, top-notch black metal, melodic and atmospheric, but without using the easy solution of keyboards. From the superb opening track "Vampiric Tyrant" to the final dark track "Blessed be, the Grim Arts!", this release manages to keep your attention (the fact that this cd lasts a mere 36 minutes adds to that). In my opinion, the standout tracks include the aforementioned two plus "Carelian satanist madness", "true blackness" and "eaten by rats". Of course I do not mean that the remainder are of bad quality (certainly not!).

In addition, I would like to add that "Carelian satanist madness" is not just 8 wonderful songs. All 8 tracks included are somehow bound together, and cannot be viewed separately. One song carries on what the previous started and so on. And in my opinion, this is a great asset of this release and what makes this album a must-have.

Before finishing this review, let me point out something. We all know Werwolf's nazist political affiliation (and we do not care, as long as he writes this marvellous music). What really-really pisses me off is the censorship of No Colours Records. It is obvious that titles like "My dreams of Hitler" are openly nazi. Everyone is free to express his own opinion. Why do you change the title of the song to "My dreams of 8"? Why do you erase/blur words like "jewish", "hitler" from the booklet? Why do you darken his extended hand in Werwolf's photo ?(he salutes the fascist way). I personally do NOT share his views but art censorship utterly repulses me. If you disagree with his views, do not release his records. He is talented enough to find another label.

P.S. The rating is not 100% just because the riff appearing in 2' 30'' of the song "666" is a Sodom/Mayhem ripoff (Mayhem's Ghoul and Sodom's Outbreak of evil). And kind of reminds me of Darkthrone's "under a funeral moon" titletrack (the second riff).

The old black metal style in it's former glory! - 95%

ordoabchao, April 26th, 2007

Saying that "Satanic Warmaster really killed with this one" would be a gross understatement! This release is nothing short of brilliant, and reeks with the dripping black metal attitude that we so miss from previous years. Amidst the turmoil that the BM scene suffers in today, Carelian Satanist Madness speaks to the people: you can have a good album, even if it isn't original.

The speed and messy chords on the duel guitars completley drench this release in a flurry of sound that much reflect what he has been doing in every release up to date: the same old school BM style punkish riffs. Yet it is done so differently in this album! The melodic style has transformed the "jumbled chords" into a more complex and sophisticated listen, none better shown in songs like "Eaten by Rats (my personal favorite)," and the slower "My Dreams of 8."

The overall speed of the album is always throwing the listener curves. It can be the same old blast beats, which even aren't that normal. It can be an altered punk beat. Or it can sometimes reflect a sophisticated and slightly sped-up doom beat. It is never really that predictable, but one of the highlights of this album for the drums is that they [i]actually know how to shut up.[/i] It is a very welcome attribute of the album when the drums with let its silence charge up in a moderately-timed pause, to later blast you with its speed.

The song writing can also not be forgotten. His stories drip with tales of graveyards and quasi-gore lyrics in a few songs, and of course his NS beleifs. Hopefully, even if you have a animosity towards Nationalist Socialism (which I share with you), I exhort that you do not simply dismiss this realease.

With releases coming in the future of SW, one can ponder as to how he can follow up this godly album.

Satanic Tyrant Werwolf at his peak! - 97%

JunaidKhan, October 2nd, 2005

This is, by far, Satanic Warmaster's finest album. It's strength lies in it's diversity - from mellow tracks like "My Dreams of 8" and melodic tracks like "The Vampiric Tyrant" to tracks like "True Blackness", where you get this feeling of evil with the dark riffs. Despite all that, this album has Tyrant Werewolf's finger-prints all over it.

Although this album is diverse, as I said before, most of the tracks tend to lie on the more melodic side. This isn't exactly a bad thing though since the production is still very raw and underground. It also makes for good hearing - after all, this is Pagan Metal from the depths of Finland. The melodic element usually consists of a few breakdowns here and there but mostly single-notation-riffs, especially in the slower tracks like "My Dreams of 8". Otherwise, it's just your normal Black Metal power-chord show but even that is done in a very melodic way. Check out the rhythm guitaring in "Eaten By Rats" to see what I mean.

A lot of work has gone into this album. I can even hear the bass breakdowns in this album and the drumming is very elaborate for a one-man project. There are even tracks in which Tyrant Werewolf's used two guitars. You can only imagine how much blood and sweat has gone into this album. To top it all up, the production for this album is PERFECT. Perfect in the sense that this is what underground Black Metal should sound like - the instruments are very audible and the highly raw and distorted guitars and the raw, even "naked", drum-sound keeps hitting you. This is up there with Graveland! This is what underground Black Metal made in the spirit of the first wave of Black Metal should sound like.

8 tracks at 40 minutes - I don't have any issues with that. If you're into any form of Black Metal, "Carelian Satanist Madness" will definitely appeal to you. This is a very strong contender for the best Black Metal album of the year, in my opinion. They're projects like these that are keeping Black Metal alive in it's truest form so buy this album!

All in all, as awesome release. Couldn't get any better than this. Satanic Warmaster's always been a little under-rated when compared with the "bigger" names but I can't see that happening anymore.