Blistering, Straightforward Traditional Metal - 95%

LickMyOrangeBallsHalfling, April 13th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2017, Digital, Underground Power Records (Bandcamp)

Recently I heard the news that Satan's Hallow had broken up, and I was quite disappointed, to say the least. Their debut album is one of the best metal albums I've heard from the past few years, and it had me excited to hear more from this young band. However, even if this turns out to be their first and last album, what an album it is.

Satan's Hallow takes a no-frills, NWOBHM-influenced approach to heavy metal, taking the guitar harmonies and triplet riffs of Iron Maiden and Angel Witch and combining it with the balls-to-the-wall muscle and soaring vocals of USPM bands like Jag Panzer and Omen. Vocalist Mandy Martillo is the star of the show here. Her confident, powerful voice gives life to the lyrics of horror and the macabre that permeate the album, soaring over the pounding riffs and harmonies provided by guitarists Von Jugel and Steve Beaudette.

The production is decidedly retro-sounding, with some grit and fuzz to the guitar tone, but everything sits well in the mix, and overall makes for a good listening experience. The songs tend to follow a straightforward Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Solo-Chorus formula, but it is never to the detriment of the songs, and the tried and true formula proves to be a success on this album.

For the time being, Satan's Hallow is no more. If they should reunite, I'd definitely be the first in line to listen. To anyone looking for great new traditional metal, this album is for you.