Chug, chug, chug, keyboard! - 60%

TimeAndDust, June 13th, 2007

This band has a lot of potential but then tends to ruin it wth needless elements. Please, PLEASE buy your keyboardist a more up to date instrument, or just kick him out completely. The guitars provide some lovely chugging sludge with some melody, but then the keyboards generally tend to just follow what the guitars are doing and completely spoil the mood with their cheesy synthetic sound. The whole thing would sound so much better if they went for a keyboard-less stripped back approach, and then it wouldn't leave me cringing with the relentless synth. I wouldn't mind so much if they went for a better keyboard sound, but the same setting is used throughout and it basically sounds... well it sounds like shit.

There are occasional moments when they break through the synth's tyranny with moments of true awesomeness, but these moments are few and far between. If you can mentally phase out the keyboards and listen just to the guitars its quite enjoyable, but just as you start to really enjoy it you notice the keys and it all comes falling down.

Seeing as this is free for download on their website I recommend you check it out, but don't expect anything amazing.