© 2002-2021

Blood stains the frozen ground - 92%

Storfeth, July 12th, 2013

Sarkrista’s past remains a mystery, since they didn’t release anything before this full-length album. So I had really no clue about what I was going to hear, and I have to say that I was caught by surprise. Despite their German origin, Sarkrista sound nothing like the cold and very raw sound that characterizes the black metal scene of their country.

As soon as the atmospheric intro ends and the first track breaks in, spontaneously I brought to mind the album “Let the Devil In” by Sargeist. Truth is that the similarities between the two bands are more than a few, but this is not something to complain about since we’re not dealing with anything groundbreaking or entrepreneurial in black metal. To be more specific, the musical content is not composite but simultaneously it is very good. These Germans seem to have a charisma that is rare in our days: They write simple music without anything fancy or technical but the quality of their compositions is top-notch. If you add the almost redemptive atmosphere of the album to the aforementioned elements, a melancholic masterpiece is created but without losing anything of its dynamic and intense presence.

Guitars have that tremendous and ritualistic sound whereas their riffs are so perfectly combined and leave no margin for any bad impressions. Revenant’s voice sounds really grim and pierces your whole body, but there’s nothing you can do to stop that because the sound coming out of the speakers is too addictive to handle. In other matters, the production is very clear and maybe I’d like it a bit rawer since it would designate the feeling of the album even more. But on the other hand the bass can be heard very well, though it just follows the guitar riffing, and the drums perform in a very good way with a steady and diverse presence where necessary.

“The Acheronian Worship” came out of nowhere to hit me with full force. Their sound leans more towards the Finnish scene which is one of my favorites and I was really satisfied with the musical result. Sarkrista may be not known to a wide audience, but if they release more works like this one in the future, they will surely get the notice they deserve. Light the red candles of the artwork and prepare yourself for a mystic ceremony.

Originally written for: The Lair of Storfeth