© 2002-2020

Riffs together strong! - 90%

Feast for the Damned, February 13th, 2020

Despite Maggot Stomp being a pretty young label, they already managed to acquire a cult following in the underground scene with a couple of their lovely death metal demos. Sanguisugabogg is a great example of this, however, it's beyond me how they managed to spark controversy with an 11-minutes long demo. Our fellow neanderthals managed to attract some unwanted attention from people that clearly don't like the idea of a 4 song brutal death metal demo. Yes, "neanderthals", this is caveman style death metal after all (and no, I don't think this is an insult in this context). It's kinda funny how the most brought up point against the band is that "They have more shirts than songs" and how most of these people seem to be the sort of guy who would think that last year's Blood Incantation is peak music.

But what does this record have apart from a ridiculous amount of hate? Four absolutely horrifying, riff packed, crushing tracks. The first track gets down to business right away. The lengthy low growl and chugging, low tuned riff combo hooks you right in. It's not often that I can call brutal death metal catchy, but in this case, it is. The riffs are groovy, yet the suffocating heaviness is still present and it often feels like your ears are getting curb stomped on. Turkish Blood Orgy has some rather disgusting lyrics to offer and apart from that, it also has some incredible drum sound to it. While Perverse/Deranged might be as long as the two previous tracks together, it doesn't drag (I mean, how would a 3.5 minutes long song drag anyways) and it has just the right amount of sickening riffs mixed with the blood-gurgling vocals and odd licks to make up for a real "caveman" ear-worm.

The last track has pretty much all of the aforementioned stuff, but that's the beauty of it! Considering how short the record is, I don't feel like there could have been a bit more variety (which brutal death metal often lacks). If this wasn't enough, then there is the production. It's straight-up scary that a demo like this can be so well-produced. No white noise, no unintentionally muffled guitars, no nothing!

Overall this record is the highlight of the already great repertoire of Maggot Stomp. From the length, through the songwriting, to the sound, everything is just right with this one. For me, it was/is the best demo of 2019, but I guess some people just don't like death metal...