Canadian Carnage - 80%

Roffle_the_Thrashard, January 20th, 2015

Toronto's Sacrifice is one of the most criminally underrated thrash metal bands of all time. Often over-looked, but never duplicated. "Apocalypse Inside" is very much the same as its creator. When I first listened to this record in the winter of 2012, I thought it was okay and that I had heard better. Then a year later I revisited the album and realized that I had been far too hasty with it. "Apocalypse Inside" is a all consuming, well-rounded album, full of intricate drumming, catchy riffs, and cold, cruel vocals. Urbinati and the guys show off yet another solid, electrifying album.

This album's songs are strong have a good delivery. "Apocalypse Inside" has been and always will be one of my favorite thrash metal records due to its on-point and unyielding tracks. Full of powerful and meaningful lyrics these songs tie you down and force you to listen to what they have to say. Inner demons and tales of misfortune are examined and spouted out with a corrosive snarl that you can't get enough of. The riffs are well planned out and have a very clear sense of direction. Rob Urbinati and Joe Rico seem as if they have a better grip on their sound on this release as compared to "Soldiers of Misfortune." The rhythm section comprised of Scott Watts on bass and Micheal Rosenthal beating the skins, is super tight and are on the same wave-length when they play, as a proper bassist and drummer should.

Production that does every member of the band justice and is enjoyable to the listener is very important to me and other metalheads. This is where this review may start to get sour, stale, you name it. Watt's bass lines are supportive and forceful, but can barely be heard. But on this record they are hidden away from view. I feel that all bass players deserve the credit that they need and Watts didn't get it this time around. The sound clarity of this release is fabulous at times and then somewhat disappointing in some instances. For example, on "Beneath What You See," Rosenthal's hi-hat sounds looser than it already is, to the point where it's hard to figure out the rhythm his right hind is playing. On some tracks the vocals seem like they have no "bottom" to them and seem to lack some gusto as a result of this. Despite all of this, the guitar sound is awesome. One has to search and search till they find a weak moment regarding the guitar sound.

A nice sense of appeal in the album artwork, song titles and overall vibe is also very crucial. This album has all three of these things. The album cover is one of a kind, the song titles fit their respective songs perfectly and I love the good mixture of slow to very fast tempo tracks, the best ones being "Apocalypse Inside," "The Lost" and "Ruins of the Old." It's an album that I will happily defend.

I give this record an 8/10. Okay production, great songs, and even greater musicians. Add this to your collection as soon as possible.