© 2002-2017

underrated speed metal masterpiece - 100%

antisect45, April 21st, 2005

I can't think of any bands as fast and brutal as Rigor Mortis that can keep the same punk/hardcore edge that they do. Mike Scaccia's guitar work is fucking flawless as he alternates between speed-picked rhythm and tap solos, and watching video of this shit makes me fall to my knees (why Ministry??!? Why?!?!).

The production quality of this album and the Freaks 12" is definitely more crisp and clear than the first LP, but I think it's more fitting for the amazing guitar and bass work which is much more than raw simplistic thrash like other bands. I can sit and listen to this album the whole way through without it ever losing my attention span.

After the weird intro it fucking shreds from beginning to end (minus the Ramones cover). Songs like Throwback...they're obviously trying say they're still down with the punks as well (shit, Casey Orr ALWAYS wore a Ramones shirt), though it might bore some people, but then you've got some fast as shit blistering speed metal tracks like Contagious Contamination or City in Fear.

Fans are split 'cause the with earlier Rigor Mortis you always knew what to expect with their style, but most of the songs on this last album leave a much bigger impression in my memory. I wish I could play this album to every kid who only knows Slayer or even the Yngwie Malmsteen worshipers - it would fucking blow anyone away.