Rhapsody being Rhapsody - 65%

Tymell, May 4th, 2010

Rhapsody do what Rhapsody do, it’s pretty much a fact of life by this point. In one sense they could be commended for their consistency, but this consistency can also be seen as predictability, and it speaks volumes that I could’ve written a lot of this review before I’d even heard the album. Incidentally, I found the album cover for this a little different (though they still manage to squeeze a dragon in), so part of me wondered if that would indicate a musical change too. Upon listening though, that part of me was swiftly given a slap and sent back into the tiny remaining optimistic part of my mind.

The sound remains firmly the same: Malmsteenian guitar chops meet Manowar-grade epicness, coming together to sound like the perfect metal score for a grand fantasy film (or possibly a night of Dungeons and Dragons, but somehow that just doesn’t create quite such an epic image). All the boxes are ticked: the spoken word/choral intro leading into the blistering explosion of metal; the jig where you’ll have to suppress a slight snigger at first; the sweeping ballad around track seven; the epic-length finisher with all of it rolled together; and all the basic Rhapsody tracks in-between.

All that’s really changed since their early days is the addition of Christopher Lee as their narrator a few albums back, a very wise move. His sections also form the only real parts where the story comes out, most of the time it falls by the wayside and is lost amid the music. Although on the plus side this does prevent the music getting bogged down in story-telling, Rhapsody stick firmly to crafting quality power metal with the tale as the backdrop.

The only songs I’m really compelled to go back to/keep are Reign of Terror, where the band go a little Children of Bodom on us with some harsher vocals mixed with very effective use of the choral chanting, and Lost in Cold Dreams, if only because I’m a sucker for the band’s ballads.

There’s not really a whole lot to say beyond that. You know what Rhapsody sound like (if you don’t, go and get Symphony of Enchanted Lands and Power of the Dragonflame, then come back), so you already know exactly what this will sound like. If you want more of that, then Frozen Tears shouldn’t disappoint. If you feel you’ve had your fill, don’t bother. Rhapsody know what music they want to make and keep on churning it out, and that itself is to be commended, but it’s not going to get me to buy any more of their albums.