Reign Of Epicness - A Different Flavor Of Fire - 90%

Pirate Of The Underground, April 17th, 2015

This album is kind of a re-invention and a comeback for the band. On this album, it's the guitars that take center-stage, and I think it's definitely the right move. I haven’t heard guitar parts this epic and explosive from the band since "Emerald Sword." Furthermore, every member of the band is allowed to shine at one point or another on this dynamite album. I love symphonic metal, especially when each instrument is allowed a chance to stand out in the mix. In addition, "The Frozen Tears Of Angels" displays some other elements that are also quite unorthodox for the band's sound (e.g. harsh vocals, thrashing riffs, and more traditional power metal keyboard solos). This is one of my favorite Rhapsody Of Fire albums in my collection.

The album starts out with a cinematic intro with spoken lyrics by Christopher Lee. I've always liked hearing his voice on Rhapsody Of Fire tracks. Few things are as epic as having Saruman introducing a metal album. The next five tracks are especially strong ones. They are very well done songs; the guitar parts are masterful and melodic, the vocals are strong, the orchestral compositions are impeccable, the choruses are grand, and I really like Alex Staropoli's keyboard solo in "Sea Of Fate".

The real stand out song however, is "Reign Of Terror." The most notable aspects of this track are the dominance of guitar, thrashing drums, and… screamed vocals. Personally, I really like the heavy thrash-like feel and the experimenting with harsh vocals. It certainly is unorthodox for Rhapsody Of Fire, and the power metal genre as a whole. But despite whatever negative reactions there may be about this, I personally really like it and wish that Fabio Leone had done a bit more with it on the album and on the successors to this release.

I only have one real complaint with this album, and that is that sometimes parts of songs sound just like others among it. Listen to the beginnings of "Sea Of Fate," "Raging Starfire," and "On The Way To Ainor," and you'll see what I mean. However, listen past those intros and you will be very satisfied with what you hear.

Overall, this album does not disappoint. There are many strong and epic tracks in the list (my favorite being "Crystal Moonlight" for it's catchy choruses and inspiringly powerful guitar leads). "The Frozen Tears Of Angels" is a great chapter in this band's discography, harking back to former great albums such as "Symphony Of Enchanted Lands" or "Dawn Of Victory" where the guitars were an essential and reigning part of the mix. So let us raise our swords and honor the return of the metallic greatness that is Rhapsody (Of Fire).