© 2002-2021

Shredrogenesis - 85%

Feast for the Damned, June 15th, 2019

The band's first release after longtime bassist Anthony Buda left the band thus, making the band only have 2 out of the 3 original members. So it is obvious that people (myself included) might have doubts about this record, but let me tell you there is absolutely nothing to worry about here. Not only did they get a great replacement, they also managed to keep the quality of their music on the top.

They managed to implement some new elements, namely melodic death metal riffs (best example is The Grip Tightens) making the songs have a better flow. Worry not though, the technical elements are all here as expected from a Revocation record. The vocal delivery is still amazing. The thrash metal barking is still the strongest factor, but the death metal sounding growls are not something to be ashamed of (and dare I say that they have some almost black metal-ish shrieking here?). This is all great and shit, but this isn't where the album really shines because the band might just made the best solos in their career. They have a great flow to them, they sound complex yet not completely alien and they are cleverly placed in each song making them stand out. Also I would like to just mention the fact that Bound by Desires is literally the best Revocation song until this point.

Even though it has a lot of things going for it, it's nowhere near perfect while the song aren't exactly fillers (especially since we are talking about a 5 song EP), but they are missing that thrash metal edge that Chaos of Forms had. It could have been better with some more catchy chorus parts (don't get me wrong I don't want this to turn into a re-thrash album or something) since those elements mixing with the tech death instrumentation made the previous record so unique in my opinion.

Overall this EP pretty much has the greatest solos from the band's career and some stand out riffs, but it's not the next big thing in their career (that's 2 albums away from this). They managed to make entertaining songs without one of their core members and this is something I respect, but there is still room for improvement.

The highlight of the record is: Bound by Desires.