True doom, suckers! - 80%

Cochino, November 15th, 2007

This is what I call Doom Metal. I was tired of all the bands that claim that their style is “Doom” but actually has nothing to do with it. Doom isn’t crying, or getting stoned, or dreaming about fairs and wizards. Doom is about abandoned cemeteries, black candles, obscure wastelands, and that’s what REVEREND BIZARRE transmits with this EP. As you might have read in several of the other reviews, I’m usually bored by bands that try to include Doom elements in their music, but it’s not because I don’t like this style, actually is one of my favourites. The problem is that a lot of people believe that to be “Doomer” than the rest they must play slower than the rest, doing songs longer than the rest and that way they become the heaviest band in the world. Luckily REVEREND BIZARRE doesn’t share that way of thinking
This EP counts with only two tracks, and it last 15 minutes, but that’s enough for them to teach a lesson about what true Doom really is. In the first track, “The Tree Of Suffering”, they show us their devotion to the Great Trilogy of the genre (BLACK SABBATH, SAINT VITUS and PENTAGRAM (Us)), with a really heavy riff that could be in the repertory of any of the previously mentioned bands. “The Children Of Doom”, the second track, is a gets more in the epic vein, with a “gallop” section, faithful to the CANDLEMASS style. A little bit of everything, and everybody is happy.
So, if your looking for a record to get depressed and cry about how life is a misery; or to get high and go in a cosmic journey, stay away from REVEREND BIZARRE. This is Doom for those who really enjoy the genre in it’s purest state.