I Miss Them, And I Wasn't Even There - 97%

SweetLeaf95, May 4th, 2018
Written based on this version: 1990, CD, Charisma

Keep that shit away from me!

Reverend were a short lived, very much missed power/thrash group from Seattle that only lived long enough for two releases, The World Won't Miss You being the first of the two. The lack of recognition that they got is extremely saddening, as this should have been a classic. Blame it on the fact that in 1990, this brand of metal was becoming obsolete. It's a very cleanly produced mash of songs with speed metal backbones and eerie mid-paced tracks alike, with hints of power metal. Plus, there's an energy boosted cover of Black Sabbath's "Hand Of Doom"! How can you go wrong?

The most prominent thing about this release is how beautifully produced it is. Every instrument rips through without any hesitation and plays such a keen factor in the arrangement. The bass guitar is far more essential than the typical metal record, as it lays down the rhythms just as tight as the guitars do. The fast-picking guitars backed by deep, chest pounding bass-lines give this the greatest balance of heaviness and melody. No track lacks melody, every song has strong solos, and musically, this really couldn't be better. "Another Form of Greed" and "Desperate" lay down some of most sturdy riffs that I've ever heard. The overall song parameters are very similar to that of Testament's Practice What You Preach, and the influence makes sense, since this was only a year following.

Not everything is fast shredding, as "Scattered Wits" is a slower, eerie track that creates a feeling of unease, adding some suspenseful touches to this record. "Leader Of Fools" is an acoustic ballad that creates a nice break from the energy. The best track, however, is the title track, as it has the most staggering and complex guitar sections, cut with such a sharp edge. David Wayne's vocals are also some of the best he's ever done in this track, and really, this album probably showcases his best vocal delivery altogether. My favorite line (see the one up yonder) is from the title track, and there couldn't have been a better vocalist to do it. The singing on this record is super memorable, containing catchy choruses, and the higher yells are mighty and right on key.

There isn't a dull moment on this record. Reverend is another fine example of how a metal band breaking up did some good, because had David not split from Metal Church, maybe we'd never get this. Although he probably wrote better songs with them (which says a lot, seeing how good this is), the actual playing and delivery is better on this record. If you're a fan of Metal Church, or mild thrash and speed metal in general, this is an absolute must.