The Grind's First Milestone - 92%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, May 26th, 2008

The album that created the very first grindcore movement, the album that created the proto gore grind and the album that influenced the future generation of death metal bands. This is Repulsion’s Horrified. Back in 1986 these guys were probably the most extreme thing on the Earth and their previous demos were a complete innovation for malevolence, putridity and speed. Nobody played like them in that period. Carcass and Napalm Death were still punkish in their style, while the only band that was close to them were Terrorizer, but they were not so rotten.

There’s, on the re-mastered CD case, a label with a written sentence: “ Repulsion is the band that introduced the world to insane blasting drums, bone-jarring distorted bass, and the most vile lyrics imaginable”. Well, I think that my whole review could finish here, because these words capture perfectly the content and the importance of this album. Great bands, such as Napalm Death, Carcass, Entombed and Cannibal Corpse were so influenced by this band.

Talking about the music here, in a more detailed description, we can find half an hour of totally madness grind. The blast beats are really ahead for the period but they are one of the most important thing in their sound. Try to imagine the faster up tempo by Cryptic Slaughter or S.O.D. brought to another level of speed and devastation. The guitars are not so extreme but they have that distortion that would be so famous among the future death metal bands: raw, down tuned and morbid. The vocals ala Cronos are perfect because are not annoying but they are truly extreme in the rough tonality, that I prefer instead of the terrible shrieks.

What always astonished me is the bass sound. I must admit that they were totally innovators for the period. It’s enough to listen to “Acid Bath” or “Festering Boils” to enjoy all the essence of a hyper distorted bass and brutal blast beats, occasionally broken by mid paced, sick parts. The solos are simple tremolo picking, to let flow all the anger and hostility. The parts in simple up tempo are still very influenced by the old Celtic Frost and the punk/hardcore movement, with moshing parts and sudden grind restarts. There’s no time to chill out because there’s not even a second of pause between the songs, forcing you to be annihilated by a sort of “single song” in a long journey through sickness and death.

Furthermore the production is perfect for a quantity of violence like this. All the instruments are very audible, conserving that underground, primitive sound they deserve to be so unique and unmistakable. Everything here smell of decomposition and check out the damn lyrics! They are completely new and shocking for the period with that gore content and twisted titles. Try to find out how many bands take their names from…

All in all, an outstanding piece of primordial gore grind. The one and only I like, because, going on, the new groups would have been too gore and extreme for my tastes; but if you want to know were pretty much all started, check this out. Primitive, narrow-minded music.